New Zaxcom Products

Jack Norflus

Thanks for catching it Ryan.

That explains why USB never worked...

I will wait till the 8 AES and zaxnet mod is ready and send the unit for both...

There is a hardware difference between the 12 and the other Nomads, but it is possible to do the software unlock for track count without having the additional hardware installed. However, if you paid for the upgrade but never sent it in for the new hardware, you should still be able to have it done.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was your nomad originally a Nomad 8? Before the 10 was introduced Zaxcom offered the 4, 6, 8 and 12 with the Linux board installed on both the 8 and 12. 

Currently there is the Lite, 10 and 12 with the Linux board only on the 12

I got the 6 and then upgraded to 8. Then I got the 12 upgrade.

Any way I can check if the linux board was installed?

When I bought my Nomad, it was the top of the line which was then a Nomad 8.  The Lite, 10, and 12 designations came later.

The N8 contained the processor, so upgrading to a Nomad 12 was just via a code. 

IIRC, the 6 basically became the 10 and the 8 essentially became the 12, and a Lite version was added (was there also a 4 in the first iteration?).

It's only a bit confusing if you're  trying to understand the correlation between the previous incarnations and the current, otherwise you can just consult the chart of features for the three available versions (Nomad Lite, Nomad 10, Nomad 12). 

My understanding is that just the top model (Nomad 12 which has the additional processor) can use the Oasis and Nomad Touch.

I got the 6 and then upgraded to 8. Then I got the 12 upgrade.

Any way I can check if the linux board was installed?

ENG Menu > Advanced Menu > USB Status

If your Linux board is installed and the software is up to date  it will say "USB Option Is Ready" and have a software date of Dec 21

If your Linux board is installed and the software is up to date it will say "USB Option Is Ready" and have a software date of Dec 21

If your nomad was purchased with the additional board, but before the USB software was ready and installed it will say something different, but I don't remember what since it's been so long since I did this. If it's installed but not activated the USB firmware can be updated with a microsd card and the software package from Zaxcom.

Nomad 12 has an additional Linux processor that the 10 and Lite doesn't have - it's this processor that handles the processing necessary to run both the Touch and Oasis. You can upgrade a Lite or a 10 by having the Linux board installed - but that requires a trip back to Zaxcom. All you need to do is contact Zaxcom and arrange for the upgrade.

Thanks Jack. But I am in China now....So taking myNomad10 back to Zaxcom...haha......I shouldn't bought the Nomad10.I thought that 12 's another USB just for the external HD or coding mp3.....

Any way to tell if you have the Linux board installed? My USB port works...

Kelsey and Jack point it out earlier in the thread:

If your Linux board is installed and the software is up to date  it will say "USB Option Is Ready" and have a software date of Dec 21

Oasis is great, but it's quite large, quite expensive, wish there was a aaton style mini controller with 100mm faders like that, for basic up / down mixing. Like a mix 8 except a fraction of the height.

the depth of oasis makes it awkard on smaller carts. In any case, still amazing, I think the mix 8 due to it's size is still attractive to me,

heck, maybe I can pick up a mix 8 dirt cheap sometime soon since most will get the oasis.

I can sell my mix8 to you, once i get my Oasis.

• 1 month later...

After reading this whole thread, I am still a bit confused about the Nomad Touch thingee.  Computers are mentioned, but I don't get what that adds (or takes away).  I would love to see a list of exactly what options are added with each thing.  For example, a Nomad 12 with the Touch can do X, Y, Z, while a Nomad 12 with the Touch and PC can do X, Y, Z and A, B and C.

I ask because I abhor the concept of having any computer (Apple or Windows) involved with my sound recording.  Which is why I'm looking for another Deva 16, and will never consider using the Deva 32.  (For you wiseasses I well know the Deva 16 employs circuit boards and processors, but it's not a PC!)

Dan Izen

When you buy Nomad touch, you are buying the USB cable and software.  The software runs on windows, and is designed to be used on a tablet like the surface.  You basically get a large display with touchscreen control.  I believe it integrates rx12 control as well.  The only additional feature I can think of off the top of my head is metadata integration with movieslate 8.

I share your sentiment Izen Ears, I have my own set of personal problems regarding the use of computers (particularly Windows PCs but also Macs) in conjunction with our dedicate recorders (and I also acknowledge that our dedicated recorders ARE computers running variants of the dominate operating systems). It does appear that the direction that everything is going, ALL our recorders, mixing panels, wireless systems, etc., will be more and more heavily involved with mainstream computer technologies and software. Look at all the devices that can now be controlled from iPads (and other tablets), how setups and configurations require computers, the trend to go to network solutions to provide features and functions which of course brings with it the necessity of routers, network switches, software applications for routing and so forth. 

Regarding the new products from Zaxcom, the "computer" in use is primarily used to provide the rich and user-friendly touchscreens that all the products offer. None of the computing devices that are external to the product are handling any of the mission critical processing or recording. Nomad Touch utilizes a tablet (computer) to provide  touchscreen access to Nomad's features and functions --- the computer in this tablet (in this case, a tablet running Microsoft OS) has no involvement in the audio or recording process --- the Nomad recorder does all of this just as it has always done. Oasis provides a hardware user interface to Nomad to gives you a lot more than just faders and a few knobs. The computer in this case can be any Windows OS tablet, Windows PC (laptop for example) or a Mac (Mac Mini, laptop, etc.). Moving up to Deva32, again, the computer has nothing to do with the audio or the recording, this is all Deva, all Zaxcom, all the way. The computer (which can be a Windows PC or a Mac) is there to provide additional I/O and to provide the beautiful and full featured touchscreen. None of the new products utilize iOS devices (which are also computers of course) except for the integration of MovieSlate which runs on iPads and iPhones.

Edited by Jeff Wexler

Nomad touch uses any computer or tablet (as long as it's running windows 8.1) to control a Nomad 12. All features are the same regardless what hardware you use.

What you get is most of your nomad functions are done on the touch surface or computer vs using the Nomad menu encoder and lcd screen. So stuff like routing, file naming, record enables, Metadata entry, etc are done with a large surface and pop up keyboard.

You get a large home screen that allows you to see meters, Metadata, tc, record parameters and a whole lot more.

Nomad touch also give you MP3 recording within the computer that can be sent via wifi to a transcription house or Dropbox etc. You also get an integrated audio player,  large tc slate with Metadata and an the ability to interface with the MovieSlate app.

Huh!  So Nomad Touch is the tools one needs to run that touchscreen, which is not a touchscreen but rather a whole little computer tablet thingee that must be purchased separately.  Got it!  Kinda like a remote Deva touchscreen.

As someone mentioned there's no way to access the trim through the "touchscreen."  I don't get that.  Why not make the entire menu system available?  THAT would be awesome, and make the hurt of the discontinuation of the other Devas less.

Thanks for the clarification!

Dan Izen (never afraid to ask questions that everyone else knows the answers to!)