New Zaxcom Products

Jack Norflus

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question for Jack or Glenn. Will the rx200 hold tc once it's receives a valid tc?  And for how long? 

When I asked about this at NAB, I was told that the RX200 would continue to generate and output timecode even if the Zaxnet UHF transmitter goes off or out of range. It should continue to do so until the unit itself is switched off. How accurate will the timecode be while not in Zaxnet UHF range, is something I hope Glenn or maybe even Jack could answer.

Edited by Jose Frias

The TC is NOT transmitted via Zaxnet but embedded with the audio signal IF you are using the TRX900CL cam link.

This was a huge selling point to me and caused me to immediately upgrade my entire cam hop system.

Initial tests are very favorable. The new features work as advertised and will be making work life better.

The OLED display and status LEDs are great. Now I wish the TRX900CL had the OLED...

The TC is NOT transmitted via Zaxnet but embedded with the audio signal IF you are using the TRX900CL cam link.

This was a huge selling point to me and caused me to immediately upgrade my entire cam hop system.

Initial tests are very favorable. The new features work as advertised and will be making work life better.

The OLED display and status LEDs are great. Now I wish the TRX900CL had the OLED...

That's correct, it does embedded timecode in the UHF signal of the TRX900CL or Maxx built-in UHF transmitter, NOT Zaxnet. My bad, I've got too many things in my mind this week. I've corrected my comment above.

Either way, the RX200 should continue to output timecode if it goes out of range from the CL or Maxx UHF TX, or if either of these turn off.

I received my two RX200s Tuesday, so only barely got to play with them prior to leaving early Wednesday morning for TNF in Texas.  I return tomorrow, but don't know when I'll have time to do much testing.

During a quick trial I did confirm that they continue running time code after a transmission to them quits.  When I get the opportunity to geek out I'll do some proper time code tests and see how well they hold over several hours.

If you are using external power (camera battery) on the RX200 and the battery dies will the RX have to be re-powered up? Or is there a setting that would power it up automatically?

Will it use external power over internal? making internal essentially backup power?

If you are using external power (camera battery) on the RX200 and the battery dies will the RX have to be re-powered up? Or is there a setting that would power it up automatically?

Will it use external power over internal? making internal essentially backup power?

Yes, it will power back up when external power returns. 

...and the answer is, "Yes," to the second question, also.  The way it works is that if the external voltage drops below that of the internal batteries, the internal batteries take over.

Yes, it will power back up when external power returns. 

...and the answer is, "Yes," to the second question, also.  The way it works is that if the external voltage drops below that of the internal batteries, the internal batteries take over.

thanks.

The rx200 will take power from the higher voltage source first - which almost always will be external power (since internal power will be in the vicinity of 6 volts) the rx200 will also automatically and seamlessly switch sources. So it external power is lost it will switch to internal power with no issues.

First understand, the RX200 receiver's primary purpose is as a camera hop with accurate time code, phase-locked to a Camera Link transmitter.  It was not designed as a free standing time code unit...

However, inquiring minds always ask about these things, so...

I didn't have time to do an hourly time code plot, but a test running two RX200 receivers for over six hours on free run following a camera link jam from a Denecke GR-2 Master Clock had them within about a half frame from the Denecke at the end of the six hours.  Of particular note:  the two Zaxcom units were within about a hundredth of a frame of each other at the end of the test.

In the last 3 years I only had to use hop once. I believe slowly the need for high quality hop is diminishing, considering multi channel lavs and a boom makes high quality mixing to camera not really ideal. And while a good product the RX200 does not really intrigue me.
And before everybody attacks me I will again say: In my PERSONAL work environment a camera hop is the last thing that I need. Especially when I can always throw a qrx200 with a small inspire-energy battery or just tap the camera battery.

Zaxcom use to be on the front of innovation and yet their latest product is camera hop while sound devices is making SL6. ????
I need more innovation from Zaxcom and not a redundant old school product.

And by the way if I am doing a sit down interviews I am going snake. No need for wireless to camera...

And if I am sending high quality mix to the camera for final use what is the point of Time Code...

Edited by RadoStefanov

In the last 3 years I only had to use hop once. I believe slowly the need for high quality hop is diminishing, considering multi channel lavs and a boom that makes high quality mixing to camera not really ideal. And while a good product the RX200 does not really intrigue me.
And before everybody attacks me I will again say: In my PERSONAL work environment a camera hop is the last thing that I need. Especially when I can always throw a qrx200 with a small inspire-energy battery or just tap the battery.

Zaxcom use to be on the front of innovation and yet their latest product is camera hop while sound devices is making SL6.
I need more innovation from Zaxcom and not a redundant product.

It had to be said...

Where have you been? Oasis, Deva 32, Touch.

Oasis being a massive development of an existing product, without rendering one's investment obsolete, you definitely can't please everyone!

Edited by pindrop

In the last 3 years I only had to use hop once. I believe slowly the need for high quality hop is diminishing, considering multi channel lavs and a boom makes high quality mixing to camera not really ideal 

Different requirements for different shows. I generally need to send wireless audio to camera on average once a week. And often it's sending wireless audio to two cameras at the same time.

And by the way if I am doing a sit down interviews I am going snake. No need for wireless to camera...

This is the same for me. Sit down is hard wired to camera. But when on the move it's wireless.

And if I am sending high quality mix to the camera for final use what is the point of Time Code...

In my work flow - both back up iso tracks and time code stamped files for transcription. 

Zaxcom use to be on the front of innovation and yet their latest product is camera hop
I think it's pretty innovative. 
I see nothing even remotely like it on the market.
It is a wideband, small, light weight, intetnal battery operated, power efficent, digital stereo receiver, that can output analog or AES audio with frame accurate time code on a single frequency and can be mounted anywhere is just seconds and features side mounted LEDs that can quickly visually let me know that RF and audio is getting to the camera 
While it doesn't intrigue you there are plenty of people, like myself, that it does.

Not every new device is designed just for my personal needs, either.  Somehow, I've learned to live with that fact.

In my orbit, from feature films, to national commercials, to local and regional spots, to race track action, to industrials, to reality, to local, regional, and national industrials, and an ever-widening variety of unknowns, I find that almost all of these gigs require the troika of camera audio, time code, and multitrack audio files.  (Breaking news is usually just camera audio, and NFL Films work is another animal entirely.)

As the sphere of cameras used has widened, finding a way to attach an unobtrusive combination of receiver and time code has become a greater challenge.  I welcome anything that helps me meet this challenge.

These are only tools; not a religion.  You use the best tool you can for any given job.  Others, of course, may have different needs.

Where have you been? Oasis, Deva 32, Touch.

Oasis being a massive development of an existing product, without rendering one's investment obsolete, you definitely can't please everyone!

Oasis is not for me. It resembles front of the house mixer. It is long and deep. if you put it in a cart shelf it will be uncomfortable to use. The sound devices ergonomics are better - the mixer being wide. Perfect for a cart. I am happy to use Mix-8 every day.

12144791_10207757278431424_2521388690764

Deva32 - don't really need one with so many analog inputs.

Touch - Unless is wireless "where I can walk around with it" I don't really need it. 

"I need more innovation from Zaxcom and not a redundant old school product."

Do not fear Rado. Muppet labs is hard at work.

Glenn

I sincerely hope that is true.

Edited by RadoStefanov

I must echo what john said. 70-90% of my work is wireless to camera. Anytime i am with shooters off sticks - or a sit down that has even the slightest chance of moving off sticks for what ever reason - i am wireless link. The cl/235 qifb has been my goto. But as soon as this option of the rx200 was introduced that is basically the size of a denecke box i had to get one. So much more compact on all these different size cameras with odd mounting options. Just got my rx fri. Already took pics of the before and after size difference to show shooters i work with as well as clients. Very well received. I couldnt be happier with this product for my personal workflow. I understand completely though. Not everyone is the same. Thats what keeps us all so darn interestin i guess. For those considering an rx200 - i highly recommend!

-Ken