LSC is shoing the new Zoom FR8

CraigF

Sonosax SX-R4+ vs Zoom F8 is a joke.

:P

Sonically no comparison, but I imagine any decent recordist would use something like an SQN with the prefader out option in front to increase the quality of the zooms audio.

That's what I'd do..

Grant.

I was at NAB , so I stopped by and saw this recorder. The Zoom rep let me take pictures and he mentioned that it was 1 of only 2 machines existing in the world, but they want to start shipping them Q4 of 2015 . The F8 is just about the size of the SD 633, maybe a little taller. There's a blue multipin jack on the back which is an analogue connection for the Zoom microphones. It seemed kind of strange to me to have a mic connected to the bottom of this kind of box recorder , but maybe they have cables for it too?... I don't know. He had no comment on the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw it yesterday, too. Was told pretty much was everyone else here was: It's just a mockup right now, aim for Sept/Oct release, but I was told price isn't set at all but expected to be in line with other Zoom products. The two dudes at the booth when I was there didn't know much about the device or production audio in general. Does it have tone? Don't know. Tell me more about the TC? Sorry. And boy are those knobs tiny. Interesting I guess.

Sonically no comparison, but I imagine any decent recordist would use something like an SQN with the prefader out option in front to increase the quality of the zooms audio.

That's what I'd do..

Grant.

I have been harassing a UK multitrack manufacturer to make a mini version of their 24track recorder to do exactly what you say. There are loads of amazing sounding SQN Cooper Filmtech Sonosax and Audio Developments eng mixers on the second hand market - turning these into multitrack recorders would be great.

Lisala

I applaud the fact that the screen is on the left side, seems more natural to me, and the nice dedicated single function transport controls on the front, a win in my book, assuming it sounds ok.

Wow being left handed this had never occured to me

-Ken

I've often used my SQN as a mic pre in a home studio when doing demotapes for bands, often I get a wtf look till they hear the difference.

I have been harassing a UK multitrack manufacturer to make a mini version of their 24track recorder to do exactly what you say. There are loads of amazing sounding SQN Cooper Filmtech Sonosax and Audio Developments eng mixers on the second hand market - turning these into multitrack recorders would be great.

Lisala