DC Output on Camera Issues

Thomas Popp

Has anyone been having issues lately with powering a Zaxcom Stereo Receiver off of the camera itself?

I have 4 Hirose to Locking DC power cables (never know when one will fail on you) - and lately, it seems more often than not I can't power the unit externally? When I test with the power tap, it powers up. Not with the DC out. I would just use the power tap, but the camera guys need this for their lights, etc....

Is it possibly the camera not outputting power out of this DC out? Or are the batteries they are using possibly not being able to supply enough power to handle the draw of the Receiver?

~Thomas

Hi Thomas,

I power my Zaxcom all the time off the hirose camera power.  Have not found a camera yet with a 4 pin hirose power tap that my Zaxcom will not worked with.  BUT there is an internal fuse for the hirose power tap that often gets blown.  I know on RAMPS there has been threads on how to replace it.  Often rental cameras go out of the shop with blown fuses because that is overlooked when they check the cameras out before renting them.

One thing that can blow the fuse is if you try to plug or unplug your Zaxcom from the hirose power tap while the camera is on. 

Andy

I have not experienced this with my Zaxcom either, but I have seen it happen with Lectros as well.  The XD Cam PDW 530 I worked with on several reality shows would not power up a pair of 211's because on the fuse issue that andy mentioned, we just used the front power tap in the camera to power the RX.  I could be a fuse on the camera, or you may have something in you Zax that is causing the fuse to blow.

Is it just one specific camera model or is it several ?  If it is several, which ones?

First I would check your cables. (I doubt that you have 4 bad cables).  Check the fuse on the camera. Check for switches on the camera that may kill power to the 4pin out.  And I would also check the software functions of the camera, as there may be a menu setting that has to do with that as well.

Thomas,

The specs for the 4 pin Hirose power out is generally 140mA, regerdless of the cam's type. My Lectro 210 rx takes about 200 mAs, only one rx is ok with the cam, but if I use 2, it blows out that fuse. For example 2 recievers of the  Micron Explorer series will go from the rear power connector, but to be safe I usually go from the front (headlamp) connector. But you have to bring out a splitter cable made of this type of connectors in case the CamOp wants to use headlight. If they are confused about the possible consumtion: the front power outlet allows the user to get as much power as the battery is capable for (referring to several camera's service manual) Let me know if you need some more info ;-)