Big Changes For Google Mobile Search Results and Rankings!

Gerard-NYNY

"If you still do not have a responsively designed/mobile-friendly website, you better get on it, and get on it fast," said Collin Colburn, an analyst at Forrester. "But this is something that you should have -- if you have not already -- been working on."--Computerworld.

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2908295/how-to-prep-in-7-steps-for-googles-mobile-search-change.html

http://www.businessinsider.com/brands-affected-by-googles-mobile-friendly-algorithm-search-update-2015-4

• 3 weeks later...

So, Google says JWSOUND is NOT MOBILE FRIENDLY

post-1-0-64049100-1430666200_thumb.jpg

What this does not take into account is that the IPB Forum software that runs this site IS mobile friendly. When JWSOUND is accessed from a mobile device, the forum senses this and formats the site with the mobile friendly theme I have installed so that it is displayed in a reasonable manner on your mobile device. One can then scroll down to the bottom of the page and choose "Full Version" at which time you will be given the full sized non-mobile friendly view designed for full sized browser on your computer.

I use it on a mobile device and it's fine. It's possible that the bot that does the checking is only seeing the "Full Version" format.

The only real issue I have is that the typing window stays under the keyboard window when it pops up, and that's a pain. IIRC, there was a time when this wasn't the case. It may be a phone specific thing, though (Nexus 5).

And why do we care?  Google says they will factor responsive site design into search rankings but they know full well it would be suicidal if they simply rank form without regard for content.  So I guess it only matters if there were another pro audio site with exactly as much relevant content and traffic and incoming links as JWSound... in which nigh impossible case it could theoretically push JW to number 2 instead of 1.  How much does that effect us?  None much.

This site does in fact use its mobile theme to show a simple format of the site on a mobile device, however Google does not like what it sees because its not correctly switching when Googlebot grabs it for the test, I have tested this on many sites including some I developed and they pass, my sites that pass use PHP to detect and redirect to the mobile versions, maybe IPS is using a JS based script or something not truly server side. I find the Google test passes no problem when the detection is done with a PHP based detection just a thought as to what could be the issue but I do not know for sure.

I don't use IPS and dont know what it uses to detect a mobile device. Might want to contact the devs at IPS and bring this to their attention. because it means that Google will not give the site a mobile friendly flag in its index even though we see it does switch to the mobile version on a phone or mobile device.