powering microphones

rafaeldelauz

Hi everyone. I think I'm having some powering issues while using my Neumann and Sanken microphones with my Sd302. I work mostly shooting documentaries in crazy countries so I try to pack as light as possible, means I've been powering the 302 with the internal batteries. Now I need to decide between getting a NP1 battery adapter or Denecke Phantom power supply for the microphones. obviously I like the price, the size and the weight of Denecke,  but I don't want to sacrifice sound quality either. can somebody help me to choose what direction to go?

I power my SD302 with 7.2 V DV cam batteries.  You could easily power your mixer and 48V microphone for days using a single small battery.  As an example, I power a 302, 2 UCR201's and 1 UCR401 (or Schoeps CMC4-MK41) for a week with a single battery charge.  The batteries are small, as is the charger.  I try to travel as light as possible as well!

I'm using an Ambient power adaptor when I have to go lightweight (here:http://www.ambient.de/produkte/mikrofonspeis/ump/ump_e.html) It goes w/my Sennheiser MKH for a week. This mike is a little bit hungry takes 5-6mAs, Neumanns and Sankens eat a lot less. But I think the best way is to use some central power in your bag. If I use my 442 w/ 1-2 condenser mics an NP-1 will last at least a week or more :-)

---Zoltan

I power my SD302 with 7.2 V DV cam batteries.  You could easily power your mixer and 48V microphone for days using a single small battery.  As an example, I power a 302, 2 UCR201's and 1 UCR401 (or Schoeps CMC4-MK41) for a week with a single battery charge.  The batteries are small, as is the charger.  I try to travel as light as possible as well!

Can you share specifics on this battery rig?

Thanks.

Andy