OneUnit Lite and Compact 6 wireless/RF Distro/Recorder/battery 6 pounds development

RadoStefanov

I personally think that there are a couple of things to address when going this route:

1- I believe that a DC distro is not necessary and can be easily replaced by a simple network of paralleled cables. ferrites filter can be added in case of issues. That way we can eliminate a unit. Of course the best would be for a recorder unit to have a built in battery slot and DC distro in it.

2- one has to decide on RF distro or not.

Yes. Distro is not needed in my setup..

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its not just smaller and lighter, its keeping the bag "slender", from jutting out from the body. Torque is force times the length of the lever arm. Wearing a 664 with (2) rows of (3) 411s stacked on top of each other creates more torque on the back than a 664 with (1) row of (6), despite the weight being the same.

Only slightly off-topic: Dave tells me that keeping gear close to the body is part of the design criteria for the new line of K-Tek bags. Their Nomad version is due out soon.

Back more on topic: I wonder if Rado might be transitioning from sound mixer to systems designer.

It's great to see you guys pushing it to new levels of portability. A lot of great innovative products are coming to market but it feels to me that weight and size is not prioritized enough. 95% of what i do is under 4 channels.

The concept of the 688 is great but it's much too big and heavy for my liking. They could have made it much smaller and allow extra rx to be plugged in if needed. It would be great to see a wireless companion sl-4 for the 633.

The sonosax offering is great designwise but there is no camera outputs so i definetly can't buy that.

The maxx is great but there is only one card wich is a ( mostly psychological ) block for me.

I thought i d never say this but my nab favorite this year goes to zoom for pulling a 302 sized 8 pots recorder/mixer with outputs, two cards, screen on the left and big record button. It is a zoom product so i doubt that the components will be high quality but the concept is there.

http://www.newsshooter.com/2015/04/17/nab-2015-zoom-f8-recordermixer/

Now a one box concept is very appealing but nothing is there yet for me.

I applaud the efforts of my colleague in pursuing this goal. I look forward to see what you re gonna come up with.

Only slightly off-topic: Dave tells me that keeping gear close to the body is part of the design criteria for the new line of K-Tek bags. Their Nomad version is due out soon.

I wonder where Dave might have picked that idea up? (:

All my modified bags designs make sure the recorder is right next to my body.

I use to remove the back of my petrol bags and make them flat. It is a lot more comfortable. 

1119789_10201777600581631_1475230666_o.j

Another major point of what I am working on is the bag. It is the exact opposite of all other bag designs. No hard flat sides. All soft padded material possibly kangaroo  leather. The Hard sides are only useful IMHO to balance gear. If the OneUnit is already balanced I don's see a point for the adding extra weight and stiffness. What I kind of did with my Orca OR30. "See picture bellow"...

The Bag  will be a flat piece that can be rolled in to a cylinder and put in a very little space in a pelican.

The extra space on the front will have my custom laser cut foams so nothing will be dangling free inside.

11174266_10206552811518920_5967894367712

As far as the Nomad goes the Shell is very thick and heavy...

Another major upgrade will by routing the ZAXNET antenna to the front panel similar to TX antenna on Maxx.

​Or the bag will have a dedicated hole for zaxnet antenna like my orca bag mod:

11027523_10206552928521845_6787874372301

​I have already removed the internal batteries compartment and have so much space inside I can probobly fit a Maxx...(:

11157406_10206552915801527_3288592086346

The battery screwholes will have my micplexer mounted with the controls coming out on the side.

If I remove the external AES plug the bottom screwholes can hold an Inspired Energy Plastic battery holder.

I can replace the BNCs with a 5 pin lemo

If we're talking about 1-unit, with integrated power and receiver, and don't need to connect together different devices and manage wires, then why do we even need bags?  Cameras are used in rugged production environments without bags, so why not go commando?  I could easily stick receivers, IFB, and other gack into pouchery on my harness or belt.

If we're talking about 1-unit, with integrated power and receiver, and don't need to connect together different devices and manage wires, then why do we even need bags?  Cameras are used in rugged production environments without bags, so why not go commando?  I could easily stick receivers, IFB, and other gack into pouchery on my harness or belt.

I agree. This is why a soft fabric cover that wraps around is what I want with a few customized pockets for TX, lavs and tools...

Now these are my prototype designs:

1. Will have DC out and AES 7/8 in on the side
  2. Thinking about leaving TC, ZAXNET and RF LEFT on the side but puting everything else on the recessed bottom

10608333_10206553646419792_8361582719507

11174755_10206553647979831_8801511794373

Rain. All of this gear including the cameras need protection from water.

Rado, your minimal bag looks nice. I've toyed with the idea of making a very small docu/Eng bag out of waterproof nylon. Very thin and light. Primarily just weather protection.

how about just splash / dust proof designs?

How about rf shielding? If you take the case off aren't you removing this protection as well?

I am not worried about RF shielding.

I take the antennas to my harness dipoles or my sharkfins on the cart.

Also I am reading about carbon fiber and it seams like it is a very good RF shield.

how about just splash / dust proof designs?

If the unit had no, or only waterproof connectors, a waterproof battery door, waterproof cf card slots etc, then possibly, but I'd still worry about water getting in when I change batteries or media. Splash proof isn't good enough for the rains that I often work in.

Well you know the way zaxcom gear is designed at the moment it is not even splash proof...

If the unit had no, or only waterproof connectors, a waterproof battery door, waterproof cf card slots etc, then possibly, but I'd still worry about water getting in when I change batteries or media. Splash proof isn't good enough for the rains that I often work in.

zaxcom zaxnet mod Antenna on top.

For people that does not want to do the BNC and does not want to have the antenna on the side.

Kind of the maxx hop antenna.

I would peel the frontface a little to see if there are any electrical leads if I would do it.

DO AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!

I have not done it. But I remember people asking me if it is possible. If there are no leads there it should be fine to drill and relocate.

10390330_10206586493760955_2969508554014

22311_10206586493800956_8180959412577639

i like this challenge, creativityand diversity ! so nice!

all in one box, too risky for me in case of breakdown,

for that reason i prefer the modular systems and also

the possibility to add or remove some element in fonction of needs

and play with more and less.

weight and volume, yes a big question...

in 20 years i have gradualy lost around 9kg in my sound bag, a big change!

now we arrive close to the limits, i think...

I personaly always go with some back-up elements.

The idea to block the shooting process because of a

breakdown without replacement solution... a nightmare...