f55 tc issue

hey all. Currently shooting on an f55 at 24 fps. jamming from a 664 (on 24hr run) via an acl 203 lockit. camera tc settings are: ext preset, free run and external source pops as soon as the lockit is connected. post says that my separately recorded sound is ahead of 1 frame on every clip. am I missing anything here? Thanks.

If sound is ahead, it means you have found the key to time travel.

Furthermore, if camera is consistently one frame behind, it should be easy for post to move all clips by one frame.

+2 (one for each part of Johnny's response)

One time on set, during playback the director yelled "Why is the sound out of sync?!" I pointed out that the sound was in real time and the picture was lagging, and therefore, out of sync. It was then considered a non-issue -- go figure.

Sony cameras EX3 F35 F55 F5 are 1.5-2 frames off in 23.976.

I always compensate 2 frames for the delay to avoid post confusion.  

hey all. Currently shooting on an f55 at 24 fps. jamming from a 664 (on 24hr run) via an acl 203 lockit. camera tc settings are: ext preset, free run and external source pops as soon as the lockit is connected. post says that my separately recorded sound is ahead of 1 frame on every clip. am I missing anything here? Thanks.

One time on set, during playback the director yelled "Why is the sound out of sync?!" I pointed out that the sound was in real time and the picture was lagging, and therefore, out of sync. It was then considered a non-issue -- go figure.

Correct. I have often defended sound in post by saying, "no -- picture is behind. Sound is exactly where it's supposed to be. If the slate matches sound, then camera is off." If the sync is off by a frame, then it could be one or both or the other. But generally it's camera, assuming it's digital. 

If it's consistently 1 frame ahead all day long but never varies, tell the assistant editor (nicely) to STFU and fix it. A 1-frame offset is trivial and it's part of the AE's job.

To the o.p.: is this 23.976 or 24.00? If you're running 24.00 and camera is at 23.976/23.98, then it'll slip by about 3 frames per minute.

My approach is to get it right from the beginning so when it comes to the blaming game in post I am clear of accusations... 

Post blames the sound guy to explain why they are behind. It has happened not once.

And when you get the call from the producers a simple explanation of why there is an offset would not make you look any better.

At least in my reality world all files leave 100% in sync to avoid problems

Delaying the output has no impact on the iso tracks or the mix. It will only further complicate matters by delaying the audio that you send to the camera.

You are right. The only audio in sync is the one on the camera, so better not touch it.