ERX locking connector mod

RadoStefanov

A little downtime today on my show. I was bored and this happened:

Disclaimer:

I do all my mods with the understanding that I am voiding the warranty and maybe making further service imposible.

I don't encourage you doing it yourself.

I would not be responsible if you damage your gear.

I have to come up with a sturdy way to keep it in place. so it does not rip the circuit board. I might have to put a different plug. And maybe make a whole new case including a very small volume knob to prevent it from breaking

The case fits back on no prob? Wonder why Zax isn't already using that connector.

The way it is setup the connector is attached to the circuit board.

I am trying to put the Mozegear locking connctor and attached it to the body with a tin wire connection to the board so if there is any pressure the PCB board would not snap. Don't have the connector in my hands.

Another thing I am working on is very low profile knob attenuator. 

Both the plug and the knob are the common failure of the erx.

I want to design them to be more sturdy.

Man, those things break if you even look at them funny. It would be great to have a proper mod to fix the issue. I've had 4 ERX's repaired in the last couple months.

The way it is setup the connector is attached to the circuit board.

I am trying to put the Mozegear locking connctor and attached it to the body with a tin wire connection to the board so if there is any pressure the PCB board would not snap. Don't have the connector in my hands.

Another thing I am working on is very low profile knob attenuator. 

Both the plug and the knob are the common failure of the erx.

I want to design them to be more sturdy.

Jason,

I have 3 right now that have the 3.5 plug skipping.

I only use them for a jam box at the moment.

As I said "Both the plug and the knob are the common failure of the erx."

Right now the connector is directly attached to the board which is a design flaw.

The way that the connector will attach on my design will be on the erx body and then with a  thin wire to the board.

Everything looks fine on paper but I have to wait and see when I get the connectors.

Another thing is I am replacing all the screws with regular Phillips heads.

Man, those things break if you even look at them funny. It would be great to have a proper mod to fix the issue. I've had 4 ERX's repaired in the last couple months.

I have a couple units that now bleed TC into the audio signal when used as hop/scratch track. These are units that usually lived on camera so were subject to all sorts of bumping and pulling by operators and ACs. This brings up another issue that I've noticed with ERX's,  and I'm curious if others have the same experience: I own 6 ERXs, when I compare the sound quality of each, they can vary pretty dramatically. When I refer to "sound quality" I mean the tonal quality of the signal, not introduced noise etc. Some sound nice and clean as they should, while others sound a dull, for lack of a better term. Curious if they have switched connectors between models, or maybe I'm getting some sort of phase issue caused by a bad jack, similar to my TC bleed issue. Anyhow, curious if others have noticed this difference in sound quality between units. I'll check with Zax about possible hardware changes.

Jason,

I have 3 right now that have the 3.5 plug skipping.

I only use them for a jam box at the moment.

As I said "Both the plug and the knob are the common failure of the erx."

Right now the connector is directly attached to the board which is a design flaw.

The way that the connector will attach on my design will be on the erx body and then with a  thin wire to the board.

Everything looks fine on paper but I have to wait and see when I get the connectors.

Another thing is I am replacing all the screws with regular Phillips heads.

• 3 weeks later...

The problem I have seen is there is no physical strain relief on the volume knob or the headphone jack. All of the stress on those falls on the small solder connections which fail easily. Finally they are starting to put a strain relief nut on the volume pots, which I'm hoping will help a lot. The HP jack still needs some reinforcement.