ERX2 Nomad TC Drift

Veeyumkie

Hi everyone,

Thank you in advance for any help on the topic. I've been an all zaxcom user for a few years now and have never ran into any problems before. I am currently supervising a show and using the erx2s on a Sony f55 for refrence and tc. In the past, I've never, ever had tc issues. Now, I have been experiencing a drift, even when my Nomad is within six inches of the erx. The DIT, AC and I verified the drift was one second slower on both erxs when I am right next to it, (the erx, not the camera display). When I power cycled the erx, it pick up my tc immediately which men's it is transmitting from my nomad and recieving into the erx. I just sent my nomad in to zaxcom to be updated for use with the fp8, and am on MR57. This is the only difference in my package since my last 50 flawless gigs. If any one has had this issue or can help shed some light, I'd love to correct this.

Thanks again,

Audio Aaron

Hi everyone,

Thank you in advance for any help on the topic. I've been an all zaxcom user for a few years now and have never ran into any problems before. I am currently supervising a show and using the erx2s on a Sony f55 for refrence and tc. In the past, I've never, ever had tc issues. Now, I have been experiencing a drift, even when my Nomad is within six inches of the erx. The DIT, AC and I verified the drift was one second slower on both erxs when I am right next to it, (the erx, not the camera display). When I power cycled the erx, it pick up my tc immediately which men's it is transmitting from my nomad and recieving into the erx. I just sent my nomad in to zaxcom to be updated for use with the fp8, and am on MR57. This is the only difference in my package since my last 50 flawless gigs. If any one has had this issue or can help shed some light, I'd love to correct this.

Thanks again,

Audio Aaron

Is the drift constant?

Sony cameras drift 1.5-2 frames

Hey guys, thanks for your responses. Both erxs were ahead of my master clock. All 29.97nd so that's not the issue. I think it is the recent firmware update that zaxcom applied to my nomad May be the issue. The drift is random and inconsistent, but happened several times already, and is consistent with both erxs being ahead of my nomad clock. This makes no sense. When I power cycle the nomad or the erx, tc clicks back in. Yesterday I power cycled the nomad and I got a white screen of death. Then I did it again and tc displayed all 00:00:00s. This is not very professional for any gear...

Hey guys, thanks for your responses. Both erxs were ahead of my master clock. All 29.97nd so that's not the issue. I think it is the recent firmware update that zaxcom applied to my nomad May be the issue. The drift is random and inconsistent, but happened several times already, and is consistent with both erxs being ahead of my nomad clock. This makes no sense. When I power cycle the nomad or the erx, tc clicks back in. Yesterday I power cycled the nomad and I got a white screen of death. Then I did it again and tc displayed all 00:00:00s. This is not very professional for any gear...

What is your master clock?

I'm not sure what "not very professional" means in this context, but in keeping with the theory that testing and troubleshooting is better than blaming, I ran some tests between a Nomad and an ERX. I conducted the tests at both 23.976 and at 29.97ndf.

The Nomad was jammed from a Denecke GR2 Master Time Code Generator and then the code out of the Nomad compared back to the GR2. It was exactly on, which means within less than 1/100th of a frame deviation. I then compared the time code output of an ERX -- which was receiving time code via Zaxnet from the Nomad -- to the GR2 and it was within 3/100ths of a frame. The results were the same at both 23.976 and 29.97.

My firmware on the Nomad is 7.27 and on the ERX it is the recommended version of 1.25.

I vaguely recall this from another thread, but did you self-tune the Nomad or did Zaxcom do it?

At one point I calibrated all of my time code devices to tight tolerances using a Denecke Master Generator. It's a time consuming process.

I recall filing a special tool to properly fit the tiny adjustments on the Deva and Nomad.

At one point I calibrated all of my time code devices to tight tolerances using a Denecke Master Generator. It's a time consuming process.

I recall filing a special tool to properly fit the tiny adjustments on the Deva and Nomad.

Ah, I imagine I won't be doing that regretfully. Poor old Nomad doesn't want me flailing about in it's innards.