SMDB transmitters

L7NirvanaLove

Has anyone bought SMDB's and what's the main difference between them and smqv's and smv's. I know from the lectrosonics website smdb's are sold in the UK and Europe? I was wondering if there would be any problems operating them in the US and is any one has or is currently using them in the US?

Thanks 

• 2 weeks later...

I think SMDB were the first double battery version available after the original SM and are fixed at the standard 100mW.. Different from SMQa version that were fixed at 250mW. Q being for "quarter-watt".

...I think...

Clearly we need a Lectro rep to clear this up.. Or someone needs to call. Last time I had them on the phone I'm pretty sure they told me it's 100mW. I own one, bought it used, and was trying to confirm just that.

Maybe it depends on the country it was sold in what output power the SMDB runs at?

SMDb is the current european version of the SMQV. It is limited to 50 mW output power. I think it is fully compatible with US Versions of any 400 mode Lectro receivers.  But don't use European receivers with US type transmitters, that combo is not fully functional.

And over in Australia we have the SMDa/au, which are fixed 100mW I think. I also have a couple of the SMQa and yes they are fixed 250mW and run super hot, and go through batteries quick!

Anything marked AU is actually 50mW output. But it depends who's standard you're going by... From what I  understand the way the Australian regulators wrote their rules 100mW radiated is the maximum allowed while in the US they measure from the antenna port... In which case a 100mW US transmitter actually radiates more than that.

To comply with the Australian regulation all AU transmitters are actually locked at 50mW USA standard. Of course they are sold as "100mW".

I'm describing this poorly but recently learned this the hard way when I bought some used transmitters from New Zealand. Thought they were normal SMa but with the AU marking on the side it means they're 50mW. Everything else is the same and they work in US 400 mode just fine.

• 7 months later...

Pat - Dealers are able to unlock the E01 version of SMs to enable 50/100/250, but it is not legal in many countries to do so.

I don't think this is true anymore. It was true when Lectro first re-introduced themselves to Europe, but with newer tx they don't have that capability anymore

"Has anyone bought SMDB's and what's the main difference between them and smqv's and smv's. I know from the lectrosonics website smdb's are sold in the UK and Europe? I was wondering if there would be any problems operating them in the US and is any one has or is currently using them in the US?"

since you are in Chicago there is nothing to withhold you from getting the Lectro 'V' version...legal in the US.The 'V' versus 'B': V gives you 50 to 250 Mw ( you decide your power) ,B : your country gives you 50 Mw...