New SD firmware for 788 etc @ AES

Philip Perkins

I just got home from AES in SF.  Probably the coolest thing I saw for us location soundies was the new firmware Sound Devices was showing for the 788T (and supposedly port-able to the older recorders) that allows editing of metadata on the machine itself--ie you can correct scene+take names before, during or after recording, the metadata is changed as well and the metadata is changed on ALL RECORDED MEDIA.  Pretty cool. I specifically asked if that meant that your corrections would go to HD, CF AND DVDRAM, and the answer was yes.  The CL8 is cool, and there are some improvements to Wave Agent (can name tracks now).

Philip Perkins

Hey, Philip, thanks for the heads up on the Sound Devices update, seems like a very cool feature. Anything else you can think of besides the SD thing? I was trying to get to AES but couldn't make it --- I would love to hear of anything else you found of interest.

-  Jeff Wexler

Hey, Philip, thanks for the heads up on the Sound Devices update, seems like a very cool feature. Anything else you can think of besides the SD thing? I was trying to get to AES but couldn't make it --- I would love to hear of anything else you found of interest.

-  Jeff Wexler

The usual gnashing of teeth over the wireless situation w/ Lectro, Shure and Zax; the little Zax fader panel is cool; there's a company called LatchLake that makes the bitchenest mic stands ever, but they are way expensive (maybe not when you consider that people put $10k+ vintage mics on them); Sony has a bunch of wireless gear I'd never seen before but I couldn't get anyone to talk to me there; Sadie had the LRX 2 there which is a pretty compact and cool way to record a whole lot of tracks; Dan Dugan has a miniature version of his automixer now in a very small box (8 in, expandable) that uses a computer for control and display and is 1/4th the price of his big automixer; probably some other stuff I missed while socializing; and, of course, the endless number of funny--looking mics and strange boxes for the studio music recording folks.....  Bigger and more crowded show than I expected given the economy....good I think.  A side note--it looks like big consoles (mixers) are back...

Philip Perkins

Two other new things I saw at AES:

1) the new Sennheiser MKE1 lavalier. It's about half the size of the original MKE2, and claims a lot of the same attributes of the Countryman B6 (small size, waterproof, etc.). The MKE1 is still a lot bigger -- to me -- than the B6, and I was put off by its high list price ($700, according to a company spokesperson). That's about 40% more than even equivalent DPA lavs.

2) Lectrosonics showed a prototype of the HM plug-on transmitter, which essentially takes the old UH series and adds a front-panel LCD readout and soft buttons, like the SMa transmitters. The HM also uses 2 AA's, which I assume will provide the same long battery life as the SMDa. Should be available "after the first of the year."

The Sound Devices CL8 looks very cute, though the spokesperson I talked to said they were still working out some routing issues with the new software.

I also saw more cheap Chinese microphones under one roof than there are grains of sand at Malibu Beach. Amazing, how these things keep multiplying.

--Marc