Hanging classroom mics vrs pzm

seth

I usually use a bunch of PZM's split in-between students but client is requesting using Hanging mics.

I've never used these before. I feel like it would be a mess rigging them and would not get the proximity of table mics. 

Any advice would be appreciated. 

Just found this useful

http://shure.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/174/~/how-do-i-mic-a-classroom-for-distance-learning%3F

post-1-0-13737700-1431377347_thumb.jpg

First, I can tell you that choir mics are not the prefered choice but because of whatever reasons your situation presents here is my experiance in case it's the only option:

I had something like you are mentioning rigged in university classrooms in a similar fashion for recording of class lectures. I used Audio-Technica PRO45 choir mics mostly for business reasons and not because it was the prefered choice but that was out of my control. Needless to say though, the pro45s still did a great job given the situation.

Our tables are 90 degrees in orientation from what you showed in the pic but my config was to rig a choir mic in the junctions of the suspended ceiling to a distance of about 8 feet from floor. I would cut a small slit in the tile for the cable just enough to not create any added tension on the cable and the tile sat down perfectly. These were for a more permanant fixture so cutting tile might not be for you. I would orient the cardioid down each row of tables. They are only "good" for about a few seats for sure and invariably, you're always going to have the softest speaking student the furthest distance from any of the mics but what are you going to do. Depending on your situation you may be able to ride it during conversation. Some of our classrooms had desktop all-in-one style machines at every seat and in order to clean a bit of that noise, I had the hanging array pipe into a rack eq in each room pre stream for those rooms.

Push back.  I've done exactly what you describe in an active classroom and the sound was very ungreat, esp once the kids went into group study mode.  The mics end up too far away for small-voiced kids speaking alone (in a full class mode) and won't pull out voices well when the noise level is higher.  The hanging mics are very unflexible, can't be moved fast, are very labor intensive to set up.  If you have to use table mics maybe rig them with wireless tx to avoid cable on the floor?

p

Mics on the table (low profile CUB style) pick up a lot of "table" noise. Adults struggle to remember to the mics are there. If it's the only way then it's preferable to hanging mics that would have to be rigged way to high to sound acceptable.

Is booming out of consideration?