Tentacle Sync now shipping, beta software

Nathaniel Robinson

You may recall the Tentacle Sync, a tiny timecode box which raised $100k+ on Indiegogo back in December. It appears that production units are finally nearing completion, and "early bird" backers, such as myself, have units with pre-production housing en route. The company also just released a beta build of their software.

The software looks great. I tested it out this morning, running TC into my iPhone via Denecke SB-3, and audio to my Zaxcom Maxx.  I only recorded a few samples, but everything synced instantly and correctly. The software automatically looks for TC stamp as well as "Audio TC", and displays it's results. The software creates a sync map, similar to an Avid AutoSequence. It handled my multiple camera cuts; will test later to see if same holds true for audio cuts. Not sure why it flipped my video (bug, or user error?).

Screen_Shot_2015_05_12_at_7_58.jpg

At the moment, I cannot test export functionality, as it requires activation code or dongle. I'm excited about the ability to use the hardware as a dongle on guest computers, though. I think the DSLR crowd will be hooked once they see it in action on their laptops.

If the hardware delivers on it's accuracy and battery life specs, I think it will be a big hit with my clients. Steadicam/Movi operators are going to love the weight, and for many DSLR workflows it will be an improvement on the standard PluralEyes.

A few things I was told by Maximillian

The Setup Software&App (to adjust frame rate, TOD, and level output) isn't ready yet, they hope to have it ready for next Monday

The auto frame rate detection isn't implemented yet, possibly in a future firmware update (so you need to use the soft/app to change it)
Mine came with 25FPS and line out as default setting (as I'm in Europe) you should check with them at what "presetted" FPS they've sent yours.

They also added one new feature :

"?One new feature is the automatic audio level : if you input a signal with phantom power or PlugIn power (3V) like the 5D has, Tentacle will  switch automatically to mic level. If you unplug it level is line again."

EDIT : Uli has just sent a link by email with the windows version of the setup app !

post-238-0-15337400-1431686784_thumb.jpg

I'm waiting on mine arriving. I notice on their website that the software only runs on OS X 10.9+

Does anyone know if this is also the case for the configuration software? I'm a bit concerned that my macbook won't be able to configure them as I'm still running 10.7.5

Does anyone know if this is also the case for the configuration software? I'm a bit concerned that my macbook won't be able to configure them as I'm still running 10.7.5

don't know about the minimum requirements but if it's really 10.9+ you could install a minimal 10.9 system on an external drive (or even an USB pen drive) and boot from that to configure the unit, then boot back into your normal 10.7.5 system.

waiting for mine too :) 

chris

You can get the software now, if you ask them. The requirements are based mainly on the need for the sync software to operate correctly with quicktime and various codecs. So for instance, if you try syncing an MXF file, you actually need Yosemite 10.10.3. Other codecs may be ok on 10.9. But for the sync box setup software I would imagine that the specs are not nearly so demanding, since codecs etc don't really come into it, so it may well run on earlier OS's. But you can try it out.