Insurance

laurenbanjo

I saw some threads with specific insurance questions, but I wanted to start a thread about insurance in general so newbies like me can ask any questions they may have about insurance in this thread.

First off, equipment insurance. I'm assuming this is a no brainer. What types of equipment insurance do you guys have, what does it cost, and what does it cover?

Are there any kinds of insurance needed other than equipment insurance? I'm assuming the production would have insurance for people getting hurt on set and stuff like that. But my dad owns a manufacturing business and talked about needing insurance so people can't sue you if you mess something up; is something like that needed in the sound industry?

Thanks for all your help! And anyone else feel free to use this thread to ask questions about insurance or discuss insurance in general.

I applied for insurance this year through Frankel, and was dissapointment to see a 20% [approximately] brokers fee for my policy, on top of about $1000 annually. This was also not a 1-time fee but recurring each year. That seemed very steep for about 10 minutes of work punching my numbers into a computer. Anyone know if this is standard practice across this segment or if I was being taken for a ride?

E.

Public Liability is tricky. I have it now that I'm in the UK. It seems common, and via BECTU (local "union") it is very cheap.

I would think that if you are a sole trader and not a "business", that you are likely protected on set by production insurance in the event someone trips on your cables or your boom pole breaks and injures someone. But remember, lawyers and insurance companies will come after anyone they think is liable for damages, so that could be you.

Fresh experience from today:

Always ask for insurance and a film permit.

I don't know about other places but Las Vegas film permit is only granted if an insurance policy is presented.

I was supposed to work on a documentary till Saturday but since there was no insurance or a film permit " among a lot of other things" I am removing myself from the project and all my sound buddies have been notified to stay away.

I carry Taylor and Taylor insurance for my equipment.

I do carry Worker's comp for myself for the 1099 contractor jobs, because it's the law in New Jersey. And my insurance is Utica National. When the production company runs me through payroll and takes me on as an employee for the duration of the production, then I don't need my worker's comp.

And I don't carry liability insurance. Production is required to always have film insurance.

I do as well, they are very popular for equipment insurance in the sound community.  Liability insurance is not necessary unless you are running an LLC and even then I don't think it's mandatory.

Despite the fly-by-night name, buymyinsurance.com is run by Heffernan Insurance Brokers who have been in business for quite a while. They seem to understand our business.

Also check out 

https://www.athosinsurance.com

Run by Kat Wong who's also been a broker insuring people the film, video, and music worlds for years.

Oh, and I'd say liability insurance isn't just for people running an LLC. It's for people and firms who might arguably have control and/or responsibility for situations that might result in damage, injury, and/or (both justified and unjustified) lawsuits.

Oh, and I'd say liability insurance isn't just for people running an LLC. It's for people and firms who might arguably have control and/or responsibility for situations that might result in damage, injury, and/or (both justified and unjustified) lawsuits.

Could you please explain this further? I'm new to the business (and to adulthood), so this insurance stuff is all another language to me.

Could you please explain this further? I'm new to the business (and to adulthood), so this insurance stuff is all another language to me.

Sound mixers are generally not in a position of responsibility over another person/personal property.  That is why we often don't need liability insurance.  There are always exceptions, YMMV.

Sound mixers are generally not in a position of responsibility over another person/personal property.  That is why we often don't need liability insurance.  There are always exceptions, YMMV.

What if you have multiple kits, a big kit and a small kit, and you are doing a job with the big kit, but someone asked to book you for a smaller gig on the same day. you're busy and can't do it yourself, but your small kit is still available to go out, so you hire someone you know to do the gig with your small kit. Two questions: 1) Is that them working for you, like a company, or is that just you renting a freelancer your gear? and 2) Do you need insurance to cover that person if something happens to them while they're out with your gear?

What if you have multiple kits, a big kit and a small kit, and you are doing a job with the big kit, but someone asked to book you for a smaller gig on the same day. you're busy and can't do it yourself, but your small kit is still available to go out, so you hire someone you know to do the gig with your small kit. Two questions: 1) Is that them working for you, like a company, or is that just you renting a freelancer your gear? and 2) Do you need insurance to cover that person if something happens to them while they're out with your gear?

1) you act like a rental house. When they (production) rent your gear, you charge them a separate invoice and get insurance for the kit items they rent out from you. This is usually negotiated separately from your labor rate as a mixer/employee or contractor and therefore, shouldn't be considered one and the same. The mixer filling in and operating the gig with the small kit would have their own deal memo, but the business transaction and rental terms are still with you (kit owner/business/rental house) and the production company. (Think camera rentals from a rental house or student gear rent from the school equipment room). I think it's possible to be the one hiring but that complicates things and isn't how it should be done. So you don't hire your friend, you refer them to fill in for you, and production hires them.

2) following 1, the equipment rented is covered by the insurance. In your terms, it shouldn't matter who is operating(which is why it should be separately worked out). Production, as the employer, has the responsibility to provide equipment insurance and workers comp or whatever other insurance policies they may wish to have to protect their workers. It shouldn't be on you, unless you decide to be the employer (which, you normally shouldn't be doing save for certain exceptions).

Tl;Dr version: your friend takes gig, uses your gear, production is responsible to provide all insurances (if everything was done properly)

Just be careful as some shoots will try to change the terms of either the deal memo or the insurance policy (eg. Owner - operator will NOT be covered in insurance for damages, meaning the owner can't be the operator of the covered gear on set, as you'll see on some student school-provided insurances)