Lav Mics on the Bill Mahar Show

Chris Howland CAS

I'm sitting here watching the Bill Mahar show and my curiosity is getting the best of me. I'm noticing the lav mics on Bill and the 3 person panel and  the lav mics have, what appear to be, two individual mic elements on each person. They look like they could be trams but each person has 2 identical looking mics attached to the same tie clip on their clothes. Is this a redundant back up mic or are they doing some kind of noise canceling function Like the COS-11x? Would this require each person to wear 2 different transmitters or are they, somehow, wired to a single transmitter? Oh yea, and while we're on the subject of lavs.... I noticed on American Idol, Ryan Seacrest would have 2 identical lav mics, one on each lapel of his jacket. Does anyone know of a special reason for this other than getting even coverage if he turns his head? I would love to get some insight into these questions.

Many Thanks,

Chris Howland

I'm sitting here watching the Bill Mahar show and my curiosity is getting the best of me. I'm noticing the lav mics on Bill and the 3 person panel and  the lav mics have, what appear to be, two individual mic elements on each person. They look like they could be trams but each person has 2 identical looking mics attached to the same tie clip on their clothes.

Chris Howland

I was watching the same show and noticed, maybe for the first time, the double lav. I have seen this on others, mostly news shows, and it was explained to me in the past that this is for backup redundancy if one mic should fail. I do not believe it has anything to do with noise reduction or control of background. I might add to this thread that to my ear the show still does not sound good --- I don't know why this is. The problems seem to be uniform and across the board so it may have something to do with some part of the broadcast chain for the show.

Additionally, I thought the Bill Mahr show was great and I thought Alec Baldwin had a lot of very good insightful things to say.

-  Jeff Wexler

-  Jeff Wexler

You guys are GREAT!!! Thanks for the responses (including the direct email responses) This is why I love this board.

Cheers!!!

Chris,

Hey man. strictly backup. ya Jeff, I have been seeing a lot  more redundant lav setups now.

the NFL pregame hosts, news anchors etc.

later.

As things get worse for us in the RF spectrum, the next generation of SM transmitters should have two transmitting channels for one plugged in mic.  That way of one channel gets pummeled by RF all of a sudden, there is a back-up.  Two packs and two lavs is not a practical solution for hidden mic applications in film and television.  And it's rarely the mic that's the culprit.

Robert

As things get worse for us in the RF spectrum, the next generation of SM transmitters should have two transmitting channels for one plugged in mic.  That way of one channel gets pummeled by RF all of a sudden, there is a back-up.  Two packs and two lavs is not a practical solution for hidden mic applications in film and television.  And it's rarely the mic that's the culprit.

Robert

Pretty soon it will be like razor blades. Two not enough? 3? 4?

Just remember, I was the first to coin the term "Lectro Quatro".

Glen Trew

Call me old school, (im only 31) but I find no reason not to use a hardwire lav mic, or stick mic for a live shot, unless the shot absolutely calls for an RF.  Why risk grey hairs when there is no need to.  The chances of an Rf failing, a sat truck's generator taking a crap, or the satellite falling out of the sky is probably greater than a single hardwire lav failing.  Ok, maybe not the satellite thing !

Watch the Today Show, they are all double mic'd with wireless, but have only a single wireless IFB.  What if the IFB takes a dump? If they can't hear directors cues or interviews, than it makes the double mic worthless anyway.  Blahhhh, Blahhhhh, Blahhhhhhhhh!

I'm going to bed!

Rob