Charlie Victor Romeo

Tom Visser

Couldn't stop watching it, on Netflix now. It's a live filming of a theatrical performance for a live audience of reenactments of various flight emergencies, using the original black box and ground audio recordings. It's quite chilling and tragic. My hats off to the air crew involved, to be able to do your job up until the very moment of... the end.

I have to admit, I'm pretty messed up after watching it, sort of caught me by surprise after casual late night browsing on Netflix.  First few seconds I was hooked and watched it straight through to the end.  There's the dramatic depiction of events, whether real or fictional, that we're so used to seeing in the cinema, but then there's something like this that comes along and reminds you what reality sort of looks like (or in this case sounds like).

From a sound perspective, it reinforces the power of sound for the narrative, and how picture can multiply the effects of a story, but in a reality that is grounded in and stands on its own, as archival sound.

I lost one of my school roommates in '02 in an air collision, as a Naval aviator.  They never did find the CVR, but if they had, always wondered if it would have provided more insight into the accident and whether or not it would have given closure for those that still had questions.

Really intense. Definitely reinforces the power of sound in film given the near complete lack of visual flourishes. One note though, the play and film script are based (mostly verbatim) on flight recorder transcripts. The audio in the film is that of the actor's performances futzed to approximate the sound of a voice recorder.

Holy shit.

That was an incredible experience.

From a creative standpoint, the filmmakers were quite masterful on many levels.

Wow.

Screw Imax, CGI, A-listers, 48FPS, 4K, and Super Heroes...

Tell an original story, use creative methods, and understand the human condition for fucks sake.

I think I may still be a bit jolted by this.