Audience recording tips for small venue

MCooper

So I've got a live recording gig coming up - a radio play, ala Prairie Home Companion, and I wanted your advice on the type, amount, and placement of audience microphones. I have access to a couple 416's, but there may also be a possibility to rent additional mics. The PA is hanging above the stage. What would be the best way to capture the audience in this small venue? Check out the attached picture. Thanks!

post-4069-0-86364000-1431720369_thumb.jp

Where the camera going to look and what ("which"; more correct?) is the perspective?

I will give them three options:

- One for general (mics to ceiling looking down to the audience).

- Audience POV (mics looking to the band, possible stereo technique or LCR).

- Band POV (mics looking to the audience, possible stereo technique or LCR).

Mics: Possible omni (from ceiling), supercardioid. Main cardioids.

Sorry for my english.

Vasileios

In a place that small all of your mics will hear the audience pretty much, all you need is some sweetener mics thay can pull up for applause or laughs in post, unless there is some possibility of verbal interaction between audience members and performers.  For the former a pair of 416s will be fine, try to pattern off the PA speakers as bet you can depending on where the venue lets you mount them (go for general audience audio, like no specific people).  The latter is much tougher, you may need several spot mics plus an operated shotgun somewhere.  I recall that Ed Greene used to stud the stage lip of venues he was recording in with small mics (like Omnimax) so he could pull up specific people in the front row if a camera went for them in CU.

philp

Thanks, Philip. Do you think it would be better to place the mics on stands on each side of the stage, or (if venue willing) mount them on the ceiling grid on the inner (or outer) sides of the speakers? I do not believe it will be important to pick out specific people in the crowd. 

I'd also consider to not set them up in a stereo config necessarily. Have one mic in the front the other further in the back. This way, if someone does participate from the audience you have more coverage, plus front audience and back audience may sound really different, allowing you to have both and mix and match both. Plus, if both mics capture distinctly different sounds, you could create a much greater stereo image later on (even though it's front/back). Have them overlap a bot in the stereo pan and the room could appear much larger and the audience bigger as a result.