Zaxcom BlueFin range

armandomacias

On 5/22/2015 at 6:04 PM, David Waelder said:

I made some tests of high gain antennas for the Fall 2010 issue of the 695 Quarterly.

You may access the issue here:

http://www.local695.com/Quarterly/695QuarterlyPDFs/695-Quarterly-2010-Fall.pdf

That's one of the early online posts for the Quarterly and the issue is available only as a pdf file of the whole issue. Since then, Laurence has worked to make the particular articles of each issue available as independent files. But the antenna article from 2010 is still readily available; just navigate to page 12.

We walk tested various antennas and, using a Stanley measuring wheel, documented the point where clean signal became erratic. While the Zaxcom blue sharkfin was not among the tested antennas, we did test the Lectrosonics LPDA, the PSC Sharkfin, the Ramsey Sharkfin, the PWS Helical and the Sennheiser Circular Polarized antenna. In general, we found that the sharkfin designs had very similar performance. There may be advantages in build quality or attachment hardware but radio performance is determined by the design, not the implementation.

You may also want to check out the Spring 2010 edition where we explained the groundwork for this series of tests:

http://www.local695.com/Quarterly/695QuarterlyPDFs/695-Quarterly-2010-Spring.pdf

And, also the Winter 2011 edition where we addressed some issues raised by readers:

http://www.local695.com/Quarterly/695QuarterlyPDFs/695-Quarterly-2010-Spring.pdf

David

David, I'm having difficulty downloading the Fall 2010 pdf (getting the dreaded "forbidden" message). Is it accessible only to local 695 members? The Winter 2011 article shows up just fine. Some fine work in it, I suspect, that is still highly relevant!

I just checked and found that there is a problem accessing the earlier issues of the Quarterly. Everything from 2011 forward seems to be readily available but I experienced an intercept when I tried to access issues from 2009 and 2010. I alerted Laurence, the Local's webmaster (& education service coordinator) and asked him to look into the matter. As you can appreciate, this is not a problem of the highest urgency but he'll get to it as soon as he can and I'll post a notice here when the problem is resolved.

David

• 3 weeks later...

Following up on the situation, I learned that the Local 695 website is being completely revised. Older issues of the journal will continue to be unavailable, pending the launch of the new website in a few months. The new website should correct the matter or, at least, time and energy will then be available to properly address the issue. 

David