Custom Rastorder Foldup Cart Cover

Nate C

We've had a fair amount of wet weather here and I have had a bit of a lull in work so I decided to make up a cart cover. I use a Rastorder fold up cart that I use in a modified configuration by making extensions that get the top shelf 10cm higher. This modification is the reason for not going with one of Robs covers. 

The material is a waterproof nylon ripstop (4mm squares) sourced from china off of ebay. I brought 5 yards for about AU$33. This gave me more than enough and to make a cover for my wife's wheelie laptop bag, plus with some spare. Found some low linting velcro that is softer and a little quieter. I now know the haberdashery section of spotlight well. Some zippers and cord toggles, Seam sealer from a camping store and I'm set to go. 

Please note while I know how to sew, I had no idea how to put thread on the bobbin. In fact that took the better part of an hour to figure out and I you tubed how to load it. 

Anyway here are pictures. I'm pretty proud of my effort. Tested it minus equipment and it works really well. A little water gets in around the handle, but if it rains that heavy I shold of built an arc. I have ideas haw to improve this week spot.

Best of all I discovered if I zip the two doors together it becomes its own bag.

post-1-0-44592400-1432299634_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-00185700-1432299658_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-59463500-1432299678_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-45157600-1432299691_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-48939500-1432299706_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-18911400-1432299729_thumb.jpg

post-2000-0-71083400-1432287828_thumb.jp

I fixed the sideways thing. It happens when a picture is taken in landscape orientation and the orientation is stored in the metadata. The forum software detects this and orients the image (incorrectly) and there is now built in function to manipulate images.

Hi Eric my cart is packed away at the moment but here is a photo of the clamps used. It is basically two Nano clamps joined together with a male 1/4 to 3/8th adaptor. The one on the left is a cheap knock off. This one clamps to the cart. Warning I have already broken one of them by over tightening it. On the right is a Manfrotto Nano Clamp that goes to the antenna mast ( a Manfrotto light stand). The knock off clamp doesn't hold the mast anywhere near as securely as the Manfrotto Nano Clamp does. I'll try post a picture of it attached to the cart latter in the week. 

Cheers Nate.

post-2000-0-93768800-1432534426_thumb.jp

Hi Nate - really nice job you have done.

I am especially impressed with the way you have sealed the boom pole holder off.

We (should I say not me) have been designing a lightweight cover and it should be ready for SEMPTE Sydney.

Ours will be clear vinyl & not fold as easily as yours.

I think you have a product there mate...

Rob

Thanks Rob,but the market is all yours.

I now have a higher appreciation for the amount of time and research that goes into developing a product. This took me the better part of two weeks to finish and a large part of that was spent staring at it wondering how to proceed next. 

The boom pole holder opening was inspired/copied from the side exits of Petrol bags.

Who are you exhibiting with at SEMPTE? Look forward to seeing what you have come up with.

• 2 weeks later...

Rob, great news about you being at SMPTE.

Can't wait to see it.

Sadly, OB's were clearing out their garage and decided that no one would have use for our VK cart...

They threw it into a skip....I heard about it and the skip had gone... bastards..