QRX235 and black eneloop pros

osa

thought i might share this for others out there in the same boat. i was in a search of alternative fuels for my qrx 235 camera link. when not D-tapping, i am typically using sony style slim batts like the ones used on SRA/SRB's that give about 3 hour usage or less on a qrx with an iKan 12v regulated sled. with the sony's being discontinued i wanted to find an alternative since my chinese versions are failing left and right. i know others out there use the lithium packs for approx 6 hours use but i was a bit scared by the disclaimers of "do not charge unattended" or "do not charge anywhere near stuff you dont want to burn down". this sort of goes against keeping things super compact but i tried an experiment today with 6x black eneloop pro's in series and a voltage regulator. in keeping the voltage regulated at 12 volts i was able to get just shy of 4 hours of continuous run time on my qrx235. i felt this was a successful alternative to some of the other options out there. my goal is to make a 6-pack aa battery holder to velcro to a qrx and keep as slim as possible. seems like a decent alternative power source since i am using these black eneloops for talent tx etc and i feel the power these give is substantial enough to be quite dependable. this of course is just to hold over until the rx200 launches and then i hope to be able to get one and use the two together with erx's in multi camera setups with the same batteries. just thought i would share. will post pics soon when my setup is complete in case anyone is interested.

-Ken

IMO, if the battery solution cannot holds the receiver for at least 6 hours (or until lunch break), it's not the right solution for me.

I just don't want there to be one more thing for me to have to think of while in the middle of everything. I especially don't want the possibility of a scenario where the receiver battery dies in the middle of a take, and that audio is lost.

I, too, patiently await for the RX200 to become available, mostly because of its small size and that it also delivers timecode, but I'm concerned about the internal battery life I was initially told at NAB (~4 hrs). If that is the case, I will forgo internal batteries and just come up with a custom external battery solution.

IMO, if the battery solution cannot hold the receiver for at least 6 hours (or until lunch break), it's not the right solution for me. . .

I, too, patiently await for the RX200 to become available, mostly because of its small size and that it also delivers timecode, but I'm concerned about the internal battery life I was initially told at NAB (~4 hrs). If that is the case, I will forgo internal batteries and just come up with a custom external battery solution.

Well just a bit of a post NAB update - recent tests with the RX200 are showing internal NiMH batteries will yield in the area of 8 hours of run time and way more if you use power save. Lithium batteries will be in the ballpark of 10 hours without power save.

Well just a bit of a post NAB update - recent tests with the RX200 are showing internal NiMH batteries will yield in the area of 8 hours of run time and way more if you use power save. Lithium batteries will be in the ballpark of 10 hours without power save.

That is excellent news, Jack! Thanks for the update!

Is it still looking like it will be available mid to late summer?

Friendly suggestion to Zaxcom.. Make the sides smooth so it will fit in a BEC box.

The NAB demo had a big knob on the side that would make that impossible.

The unit shown at NAB was a prototype. Since the show several changes have been made - including a pretty cool new feature.

QRX200 = Can receive from two mono or stereo transmitters

RX200 = Can receive from one mono or stereo transmitter

Thanks John I thought that might be the case, but confusingly to me the RX200 has -

2-Channel ENG receiver

printed on the top, and not stereo receiver.

It's really a dual receiver, in the same way the Lectro SR is. The only way it can receive 4 audio "channels" is by tuning in two transmitters both of which are in stereo mode. And how often is anyone who owns one actually using it that way?

People have been confused about this from day one of the QRX100 I think..

So, the new RX200 is much more like a Lectro 401 or their new LR compact single channel receiver. Of course, being a Zaxcom wireless it can receive a stereo transmission.. ;)

It's really a dual receiver, in the same way the Lectro SR is. The only way it can receive 4 audio "channels" is by tuning in two transmitters both of which are in stereo mode. And how often is anyone who owns one actually using it that way?

Not often, but just a few short hours from now I plan to simultaneously receive both a stereo and a mono signal on one of them at the world's largest single day sporting event.

Not often, but just a few short hours from now I plan to simultaneously receive both a stereo and a mono signal on one of them at the world's largest single day sporting event.

I did this on a show last year. I had my mixer feed 1&2, and the host's mic always going to CH3.... Just in case. Took a little tweaking to make the frequencies work, and not ideal, but it was ok.

I did it because I joined a show that previously had no mixer and the host had what was usually the only lav directly feeding the A camera. They would pop off the cuff things as we were "done shooting" and walking back to the van. After missing a few of those, I worked this out.

• 11 months later...

What is the IFB audio range like for the QRX235 compared to the IFB100 for directors (who have erx's). The specs say the ifb 100 has 75mw power and the QRX235 has 50 mw, But how are people finding the difference out in the field?