Powering Edirol R-09 off the bag

André Boisvert

Like the title says, I'd like to power my Edirol R-09 (3V) off my 12 V bag supply. I can handle the solder side, I just need a bit of help on the down convert part.

Overall, I like the R-09, but my biggest beef is with its 2 stage door. First stage to access the SD/USB, second stage to access the batteries. Dumb design; it's going to be the first thing to break. So, if I don't have to go for a battery change, I think it'll last longer.

Thanks.

Hi Andre,

A switching regulator should do the trick.  I bought the 5 volt version but here is a link to a 3 volt switching regulator.  http://www.dimensionengineering.com/DE-SW033.htm 

I used it to power my Marantz PMD620 off my Lithium NP1 and it works great and it's only $15.

Andy

Perfect Andy! Exactly what I was looking for.

Jason - I'm currently using Powerex 2300mAh and I change at least once a day. Maybe they're getting old.

Thanks.

Before you clip leads or solder the convertor, try it out with some alligator-clip leads on your rig.  Some of those types of convertors make a lot of RF, and it will be in close proximity to your wireless RX.  I had a big problem with this a few years ago and ended up having to switch out convertors because of it.

Philip Perkins

Before you clip leads or solder the convertor, try it out with some alligator-clip leads on your rig.  Some of those types of convertors make a lot of RF, and it will be in close proximity to your wireless RX.  I had a big problem with this a few years ago and ended up having to switch out convertors because of it.

I've heard about the potential RF problem before so it is not a bad idea to check out the switching regulator first using alligator clips.  In my case I have Lectro 411s in my bag and have no RF problem with the switching regulator I recommended to you.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Update.

My Edirol is now powered off the bag and workin' fine. Thanks Philip, for the heads up on a potential RF problem but, as in Andy's case, I'm seeing no new RF. What did surprise me was what the Edirol puts out (a test I hadn't done before). 90% of the 1st horizontal line while scanning my 411's (blk 25 & 26) is black and about 70% of the 2nd. Without it, I'm probably 10% of the 1st, 5% of the second. I was under the impression that most of the garbage RF from NL recorders came from the HD.

For the short range I usually need, it hasn't been a problem.

Since I no longer saw a use for the AC supply, I used the 90 degree DC plug with 2 feet of cable from it. It made for a quick'n easy job.

Thanks again for the link, Andy.

Update.

My Edirol is now powered off the bag and workin' fine. Thanks Philip, for the heads up on a potential RF problem but, as in Andy's case, I'm seeing no new RF. What did surprise me was what the Edirol puts out (a test I hadn't done before). 90% of the 1st horizontal line while scanning my 411's (blk 25 & 26) is black and about 70% of the 2nd. Without it, I'm probably 10% of the 1st, 5% of the second. I was under the impression that most of the garbage RF from NL recorders came from the HD.

For the short range I usually need, it hasn't been a problem.

Since I no longer saw a use for the AC supply, I used the 90 degree DC plug with 2 feet of cable from it. It made for a quick'n easy job.

Thanks again for the link, Andy.

The HD is certainly a big factor, but I still get plenty 'o RF from a 702T (CF only) and an H2 (SD only.) 

Philip Perkins