Lectrosonics R1a to listen to individual talent mics

Pablo Villegas

I have a director who would like to listen into the individual transmitters of the talent without having to go through my feed. He mentioned that in the last he has used an R1a to do this. My question is: if I set my talent transmitters to IFB mode so that he could tune in with an R1a, would the quality of the audio that I would be receiving be affected? Pablo

I have a director who would like to listen into the individual transmitters of the talent without having to go through my feed. He mentioned that in the last he has used an R1a to do this. My question is: if I set my talent transmitters to IFB mode so that he could tune in with an R1a, would the quality of the audio that I would be receiving be affected? Pablo

​Unfortunately, yes. 
Best,
Larry F
Lectro

Years ago I was on a show that used receivers by a company called icom (I believe), that could listen in to a variety of wireless transmitters, including lectrosonics in 400 mode. The range was quite poor and the audio fidelity even worse, but it worked, and if I recall they were quite reasonably priced.  Might be worth looking into. 

E. 

Find a used System 100 receiver (the cheapest I can think of) on the same block and ask Gilles (RF Audio) to mod it as he did for me (adding an internal headphone amp and replace the small pot by a larger one).

Does the 100 series know what to do with a digital hybrid signal?

Oops, you have a point...

(I use a 100 modded receiver with a LM transmitter)

OK, replace the beginning of my sentence by : find the used cheapest receiver you can find that is able to receive digital hybrid signal… (then I hope the remaining is valid if you happen to live in Montreal, but I admit I got a bit too fast on the send button)

i've used a hand held scanner/receiver to give a director this option. It is quite effective despite the low quality audio, and about the cheapest way to achieve what they are asking for. Get 1 that is easy to use EG. scan and program. The 1 i have is a pain.

dan.

To dovetail off of what David Thomas suggested, we did an experiment by wiring a cheap set of earbuds with a TA3F so they could be plugged directly into the output of an LR Receiver (wiring is headphone shields to pin 3, headphone hots to pin 2). It works reasonably well with the receiver audio output turned all the way up to +5, although some may want more volume. There are probably more efficient earbuds out there that would work even better.

I've got an Icom R6 scanner and I can confirm that it works with Lectro 400 signals (I'm not sure how an analog receiver is able to deal with Digital Hybrid signals, but it does)  It is very distorted however, and would not be fun for anyone to listen to for any length of time.

Cheers,

Brent Calkin

Edited by Freeheel

After some research and reaching out to the previous sound guy on the show I confirmed that the only way to do what the director is asking for is getting a transmitter plugged to the direct outs of my 664 set to IFB mode for each of the talent tracks. We only have 3 cast members on this show, so it's doable but probably not worth it... Thanks for the input everyone.