jgbsound

Hello everybody,

So the time has come to upgrade my studio (I have the Yamaha HS series monitors set up in a 5.1 config) and my budget is about 1k a speaker. 

I've been listening to the Dynaudio BM6 MK III's and they seem pretty solid.  They appear to have a pretty flat frequency response.  These, paired with the BM14S II 12"Subwoofer, I'm thinking this would be a pretty good mixing environment.  

While, others are mixing on Genelecs, and still others, I see, are using the Focal 6B series monitors, et all, the BM6 MK IIIs appear to be decent performers (I really can't afford the Dynaudio AIR series which have the sculptable EQ for each speaker which is pretty friggin' tantalizing).  

Are there other choices in this price range? At the end of the day, good flat, frequency response and translation to the screen is what I'm looking for.

Thanks for your input!

John

I'm not a fan of Dynaudio, they are owned by TC Electronic who are notorious for bad service (we fired them and our Dynaudios after they told us there was no repair avail for a current model and that we needed to buy them over again). TC Electronic is now owned by Behringer, I believe.   Lots of people use Genelecs, I don't like them for audio post.  Right now my "movie" speaker setup is a 5.1 BlueSky system that has translated very well.  When I upgrade I think I will probably go JBL.

p

I am currently looking for a nice pair of Klipschorns in cherry.

My plan is to tuck them discretely in the corners of our living room and hope my lovely bride doesn't notice.

​good luck with that, unless you have cherry paneling that they'll blend in with

Big fan of Focal Twin 6 and SM 9.

- Clarity
- Accuracy
- Flat (the only flat monitor I ever heard so far)
- Amazing manufacturing quality
- Expensive

The SOLO 6 it is around 1k; I think.

Alternative for me is Adam A8X.

We bought some Neumann KH 120s and like them... Really easy to setup (in the sense that they are not too room fussy), great documentation, lots of accessories and good sub options... Worth looking at?  

​Hi Michael,

I am curious about them. Do you have KH 120 A or KH 120 D?

I've been enjoying my Dynaudio BM15A for the L,C,R and BM6A for the Ls, Rs, BM14S for the LFE. These are the classic versions that are built in Denmark. Some of the newer MKII versions are mass manufactured in China. There are huge build quality differences. Sammy Huen

Occasionally I work at a place with Dynaudios and have been pleased with the results. I found them pleasant to work on and they translated well. Certainly not a bad choice.

My personal preference are the JBL LSR6328 or the older 28P. (They're essentially they same.) They're quite common around LA. They sound amazing and have great bass response. I don't need to use bass management with them. Tons of power so lots of headroom. They translate extremely well to larger dub stages and theaters, a lot of which have JBL arrays. 

New they're a little above your budget but If you watch the used market they come up pretty often and you can get some great deals.

I'm going to go down to vintage audio and test out some of these speakers. I'm starting to lean towards the Neumanns kh series monitors and the JBLs seem to be an attractive choice. If I had all the money in the world,I'd, pick the focal twin6 BEs. The genelecs seemed a little flattering and I wondered if they aren't as flat a frequency response as the dynaudios. Thank you one and all for the suggestions! Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm going to go down to vintage audio and test out some of these speakers. I'm starting to lean towards the Neumanns kh series monitors and the JBLs seem to be an attractive choice. If I had all the money in the world,I'd, pick the focal twin6 BEs. The genelecs seemed a little flattering and I wondered if they aren't as flat a frequency response as the dynaudios. Thank you one and all for the suggestions! Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

​Just goes to show how subjective this choice is. I've rarely heard anyone describe Genelecs as "flattering". They often get the exact opposite criticism of being too flat/sterile. But hey, totally subjective as i said. I've been using them so long my opinion can hardly be objective:)

Yes our ears do not have a flat frequency response and everyone's are different of course, and it also depends on what level you're listening at as well. Apparently the louder it is, the flatter the frequency response.

There's lots of interesting info. on the net.

SS4 Hearing Sensitivity

https://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar11/articles/how-the-ear-works.htm

Edited by pindrop