Custom Comtek Caddy

saadasound

I figured I would post a picture of the comtek caddy that I made last week for Lorenzo Millan and the upcoming House of Cards season starting in a few weeks. It securely holds 16 comteks in their own individual slots, 14 headsets and a box of Duracell 9 volts. It's completely waterproof and will soon have a clear vinyl rain cover with velcro attachment, similar to the velcro rain covers on most of our sound bags. 

The BEST part about this project is that all the wood is completely recycled from pallets and at zero cost! 

This was somewhat of an adaptation of a 6pack beer caddy that I've been making in bulk and selling. Only took about 10 hours worth of work and it works great!

If anyone would be interested in something like this, let me know and I can get one mocked up for you. I also make reclaimed furniture as well, so if you're interested in any of that, please feel free to let me know! I'm open to any new designs or ideas!

Cheers,

Steve

IMG_2997.JPG

Yeah, we usually just drop them off at video village, but we personally hand them to director, scripty, etc. They've always just been kept in a small red vinyl box that would get the headsets tangled and wouldn't really offer any protection for the comteks themselves since they'd be clipped to the sides of the box. At least the caddy will offer some protection and organization. I'll be doing so drawer inserts for Lorenzo next. One single space insert for tweakers, pens, etc. and a 2 space drawer insert for transmitters and wires. 

That's a great idea. After my brother themed a whole western/miner bar around my deck and spa area using very little other than discarded pallets, I've loved the idea of recycling pallets into other stuff. The odd sizes are piling up just about everywhere in the warehouse districts, or behind businesses, and as long as you don't take the 40" x 48" pallets (they sell those back, so they're illegal to take here in Floriduh), most places don't care..and actually WANT you to take them, as they have to get rid of them by paying someone to pick them up or take them to the landfill. Pallet wood is somehow damn strong and wonderful stock for repurposing. Tile places have the strongest stock we've located (some are ready made boxes), if you seek longer/stronger stock. The nails are usually helical, and will tear up the stock when you try to take them apart with a flatbar, so instead, he used a Sawzall and a metal cutting blade to just cut the nails, and we had a ton of 'antiqued' up stock, complete with rustic nail heads. Some of it had interesting stenciling on it like "Made In Peru", which only adds to the rustic chic. It's so beautiful..why not add some brass (flat head or pan head) wood screws to improve its appeal?

What a great idea...just drop it off at Video Village, and pick it up later. Clever build, Steve.

PS: Is that a bottle of Cab sitting there to stain the wood with? 

Edited by Rachel
(redundancy in description)

Very nice....

How about this option... @$18 bucks, a bit lighter, requires no time to build, holds 10 comteks and headsets and looks great.... Hard to beat this for the money... I use three of them...  Very durable... 

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-15-in-Tool-Tote-82042N12/203418586

Edited by afewmoreyears

Very nice....

How about this option... @$18 bucks, a bit lighter, requires no time to build, holds 10 comteks and headsets and looks great.... Hard to beat this for the money... I use three of them...  Very durable... 

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-15-in-Tool-Tote-82042N12/203418586

​I've seen these before for this application. Definitely works. BUT, the best part about the caddy I made is that it was all free! Can't beat free! it did take time to make it as close to perfect as possible, but it's good to pass the time when I'm not working :)

TYLER,

That is exactly what I designed this caddy off of. I've been making a lot of beer and wine caddy's recently, been selling like crazy! I also embedded a magnet in the side of the caddy under the bottle opener so the cap will just stick to the side rather then fall on the ground. Working great so far!