Zaxcom ERX firmware v2.0 - adds timecode calibration

Mark Orusa

I just got an email from Zaxcom about the new ERX firmware v2.0 - http://zaxcom.com/software_update/erx-v2-0/

Our original concept for ERX was that it would be used in close range of a ZaxNet transmitter, always jamming to the timecode source to maintain perfect sync or to hold sync for short periods of time when it was out of range. As the system gained in popularity users started requesting that the ERX would hold its sync for a longer periods of time so it could be used as a standalone sync box - so we did!

ERX Version 2.0 has a new time code calibration feature for all ERX receivers, so each individual unit will calibrate itself to the ZaxNet source. A calibrated ERX virtually eliminates any timecode drift that had affected an unreferenced ERX in the past. Once calibrated, the ERX will have less than one frame of drift over a ten hour period.

An ERX will auto calibrate itself to any ZaxNet timecode signal in 11 minutes from boot up. Once it's calibrated the auto calibration can be shut off and the ERX will either keep the offset value in its ROM or it can be set up to re-calibrate itself every time it boots up.

Software Version 2.0 can be loaded to any ERXTCD and features the new auto calibration mode. In addition there's a new timecode entry menu for manually setting the internal timecode generator when not receiving an external signal and a new shortcut to enter the extended menu from the home screen by pressing the timecode button three times.

This is yet another awesome free update from Zaxcom. Thanks for listening so carefully to your users!

Mark O.

Edited by Mark O'Russa

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think no one thought the original ERXTCD would get so much use as a standalone sync box (like the ever-present Ambient and Denecke sync boxes) but in fact that is the way people started using them! This update makes it truly suitable as a sync box and with audio as well.

Direct LINK to download on Zaxcom's site

That's good, but I don't have to wait 11 min for my Lockits to calibrate…   How long does the calibration hold after shut down or battery change?  If you shut it off does it have to cal again?  On a long job, would it need to cal every morning, or would it hold from day to day if it got a shot of TC reception once in awhile?

philp

The time code calibration is permanently stored in non volatile memory and is ready to go the moment the unit is powered up. The calibration can also be entered via the keyboard so the unit can be calibrated to any time code source. Auto calibration values are also displayed for long term reference.

Some user reports from our beta testers should be posted soon. 

The way we did this allows for it to be a set and forget feature or an automatic calibration that would allow for seamless use with many different time code sources like in a rental environment.

Glenn

The calibration is done while the unit is in use as a background function. Normal audio reception and time code generation are not effected. 

There would be no difference to the current operation of the ERX2TCD during the calibration time.

Glenn

Glenn/Howy,

If this thread still has your ear...

My #1 most wished for addition to the ERX software would be a semi-functional battery meter.  I use mostly Lithium Batteries in mine, and while I know I can get 2x 12 hour days out of mine, it would be great to have one less thing to worry about.  Any chance this would be something that could be added to 2.1?

e.

Glenn/Howy,

If this thread still has your ear...

My #1 most wished for addition to the ERX software would be a semi-functional battery meter.  I use mostly Lithium Batteries in mine, and while I know I can get 2x 12 hour days out of mine, it would be great to have one less thing to worry about.  Any chance this would be something that could be added to 2.1?

e.

​I will check on this tomorrow.

Glenn

As I've already said on the Zaxcom Facebook page - this is a quite excellent update. Thanks Glenn!

I think this new feature makes the ERX into a new product. It was never intended to be a stand alone time code generator but if people are going to use it as that then we need to make it the best it can be. I am very happy with the results we have achieved with this and I am happy that we can give it to all ERX2TCD customers.

Glenn

I think this new feature makes the ERX into a new product. It was never intended to be a stand alone time code generator but if people are going to use it as that then we need to make it the best it can be. I am very happy with the results we have achieved with this and I am happy that we can give it to all ERX2TCD customers.

Glenn

Glenn,

Any chance to get manual Volume Up and Down with the ERX buttons?

I tried. It does not work

​I think what you are getting at is the ability to manually adjust volume output without being in the extended menu. As of now, you can step volume up and down, but to do this you have to switch the volume mode from variable to fixed gain and then choose the output level.

There is no way to do this without being in the extended menu.