Schoeps CMC4 to 48 volt phantom upgrade service

pverrando

This is an idea I've been nursing along for the past 2 years, and gradually "rolled out" in January.  

Since then, I've upgraded about 70 CMC4 amplifiers to 48 volt phantom power, not with an adaptor circuit, but a rebuild of each CMC4 to a schematically correct CMC5 preamplifier. Each is thoroughly tested and adjusted to perform as well, and often better than the original T-power configuration.  

If you own one or more CMC4's that you'd like to use without the need for an external power supply or barrel adaptor, details of the upgrade are available at http://www.cmc4upgrade.com.  

Thanks

Pete Verrando

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a note I've been meaning to address regarding the upgrade, and will be adding to the website. 

Some Schoeps CMC4, CMC5, and early CMC6 amplifiers are known for RF "noise-up" issues from plug-on transmitters, remote focus transmitters, etc. 

The CMC4 upgrade, while adding ferrite beads to transistors T2 and T3 where they are found missing, does not specifically resolve all existing RF issues.

I have successfully resolved plug-on RF issues on a custom basis. ( lead-in ferrite beads, increased internal shield coverage, filter capacitors).

I have not, however, established a "solve-all" process for RF immunity as part of the CMC4 upgrade.  If you plan to use a CMC4 upgrade with a Lectro or Zaxcom plug-on transmitter, let's talk about it first!

Thanks for the generous endorsements!

Pete Verrando

http://www.cmc4upgrade.com

Edited by pverrando

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Yep.  The man does awesome work.  Not only on this conversion stuff but he repaired a CMC5 of mine and it was back to me in a week instead of three months (!) when I send mics back to Germany.

Don't get me wrong, Schoeps in Germany sends back a repaired mic, but I think no more repaired than the mic Pete did for me.  Just my .02.

D.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a CMC4 with the mod and I recently bought a gvc and for some reason whenever I use the gvc it doesn't work but when I use the gvc with my CMC6 it works just fine. Anyone know why this might be happening? Pete, can this issue be resolved?

• 5 years later...
  • 6 months later...