Lectrosonics Shakfin with Lectrosonics Octopack

Eric Lau

My octopack can run block 21-29. About wireless between use group A of bl21,24,25,29 and group B of bl24,25,26,29, which group will has worst wireless distance result? I'm thinking block 21 and 29 will shorten sharkfin's distance, because too far. Please advise.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with Gordon. No real difference. I use an octopack with 4 Srb ( 2x 22,24 and 26 ) with two ALP620. Super small cable ( around 10" ). Range is simply unbelievable. Camera runs out of lens ( even with doubler ) before I even see one little bar going down on the RF meter. Simply crazy range. 

Thank you for Gordon and PVANSTRY reply.

i did a test. and I find they have same result if turn on ANT.Power on with Octopack with two ALP650.

Only different is: bl21,24,25,29 is In Octopack without turn the ANT.Power on with two ALP650, SRB's bl21's antenna signal will lower than other. 

bl24,25,26,29 is In Octopack without turn the ANT.Power on with two ALP650, all SRB (all bl)'s antenna are same.

Using the built in rf amp of the Alp650 should only be done when you need to compensate for long cable runs in between antenna and receivers. Boosting the signal does not give you more signal and usually result in poorer and more unstable reception. It is counter intuitive but just the reality. Boosting signal should not be done unless significant signal loss is a result of long cable runs ( 50' of rg8 loss loss or 25' of rg58 are what I would consider the starting point of using the amp at the lowest setting ). 

The he reason is that you are basically raising the noise floor of the environment and also all the bad rf signal competing for the attention of your receiver.  BAD IDEA...