Intermitent clicks with oktava MK-012

cinetj

Hi,

Recently, I've been experiencing sutil intermitent clicks when using one of my oktavas mk-012. I've changed the capsule, but problem remains. I think this comes from hte mic body then. Anyone has experienced this issue?

I have 6 of those, some at least 15 yrs old--no clicks.  If you aren't having a humidity issue, and have made sure the capsule-body connection is clean, then there maybe a component level issue in the mic and you might want to get it looked at.   Do you have this problem with more than one mixer ro recorder?  Swapped out cables?  Can you get ahold of another MC012 to swap pieces out with?

p

If you'll supply complete information as well as your troubleshooting steps I might be able to help.

​Hi, John

- I've changed the cables; then the inputs on my recorder; then the capsule of the mic. Maybe Phillip is right and there is the need of some cleaning on the part of the body of the mic that touches the capsule. If so, what would you use to clean it without making bigger mess?

200 proof isopropyl alcohol (100%) from an electronics store or web
I like to keep the individual packs in the kit (but it's what I used for Nagra head cleaning) http://www.techspray.com/p-9-isopropyl-alcohol-ipa-wipes-998.aspx?referrer=/c-12-isopropyl-alcohol-ipa.aspx  also good for cleaning skin before sticky products are used

probably the amount your want http://www.markertek.com/product/tesp-1610-50pk/techspray-1610-50pk-isopropyl-alcohol-pre-saturated-wipes-50-count?utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=googlebase&utm_source=google&utm_term=Product_Target&utm_campaign=Shopping+Top+Movers&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=I7f0YoJg|pcrid|60581947940|pdv|c|&gclid=CNDOm6zo8MUCFdKIfgodvnMAZQ

a bottle is good to have for cleaning parts after solder repair work and cleaning with cotton tips

just do not use the drugstore stuff with water or mineral oil in it

Edited by CraigF

Every once in a while you need to tighten the three little screws on the barrel towards the end of the preamp, right where the XLR connector sits. Mind you, you need to screw in the opposite direction as you would normally to tighten a screw, i.e. you need to screw counter clockwise. That should take care of the problem.

200 proof isopropyl alcohol (100%) from an electronics store or web
I like to keep the individual packs in the kit (but it's what I used for Nagra head cleaning) http://www.techspray.com/p-9-isopropyl-alcohol-ipa-wipes-998.aspx?referrer=/c-12-isopropyl-alcohol-ipa.aspx  also good for cleaning skin before sticky products are used

probably the amount your want http://www.markertek.com/product/tesp-1610-50pk/techspray-1610-50pk-isopropyl-alcohol-pre-saturated-wipes-50-count?utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=googlebase&utm_source=google&utm_term=Product_Target&utm_campaign=Shopping+Top+Movers&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=I7f0YoJg|pcrid|60581947940|pdv|c|&gclid=CNDOm6zo8MUCFdKIfgodvnMAZQ

a bottle is good to have for cleaning parts after solder repair work and cleaning with cotton tips

just do not use the drugstore stuff with water or mineral oil in it

Hi, Craig

Have you used it for this purpose of mic cleaning?

I second what Christian said.  I have had to do this several times with my Oktava's.  I've also had to do it on Schoeps.  Those little screws loosen up over time and can make some very odd noises.

Hi, Sheldon

I already had the screws  issue and had to tight them up. I dont think this is the issue this time. These are very sutil clicks, not the kind of nasty sounds that I got from loose screws. And the screws are well tiight, I've checked

I second what Christian said.  I have had to do this several times with my Oktava's.  I've also had to do it on Schoeps.  Those little screws loosen up over time and can make some very odd noises.

​I third what Christian said (is that English ?)

Give it a good clean, check these screws and give it another try in a dry environment. If the problem still occurs, you are probably beyond the scope of user-solvable solutions.

Hope you manage to resolve your problem.