UH400a w/ UCR211 Compatibility Issues

Travis Williamson

Hello Hive Mind,

I recently bought a second hand UH400a plug on Tx to use with my UCR211 Rx. I read the manual, and followed the instructions to set the UH400a to 200 compatibility mode. I've tried this several times. The Tx LEDs blink the correct amount of times. The Rx shows full RF reception. However, the results are not good.

How to best describe the sound... muddy, low level, constant hiss, massive compander pumping sound. The connector is a little loose/wobbly, and does crackle a little when touched/wobbled. It makes very little difference where the Tx gain is set, the problems are audible regardless, but I would say the level is low in general, as the Tx has to have it's gain control cranked pretty far to the right to actually get SOME level registering at the Rx, plus there's the absence of any frequency beyond a hi-mid.

I've been using Lectro UM200c Tx's with my 211 Rxs for over a year and they sound great since I became aware of how to drive an analogue system for best signal to noise ratio. This is not merely compander noise. 

Has anybody here experienced a similar problem with the UH400a in 200 compatibility mode they can share here for some insight? Does anybody have any suggestions?

In addition to the above, I've tried

- bypassing pilot tone on the Rx

- switching between different levels of phantom power (the mic operates pretty well the same on 15v and 48v)

- multiple Rx's

I am using a Rode NTG3. The mic works fine when cabled

EDIT - Just realised, as I was listening to the god awful sound, that when I touch any of the trim knobs on the 664, there is a great big hum that appears, and disappears when I take my finger off. This happens regardless of whether the mic/Tx are in my hand or not. It does not happen when the same mic is cabled.

Cheers,

Travis

Edited by Travis Williamson

Try a phase reverse barrel between mic and transmitter. I remember reading something about issues in some mic/Tx combinations.

I have used my UH400a with a 211 before, without issue. Have you tried same Tx with 411 receiver in 400 mode?

Not sure if weird trim 664 issue is related. 

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately I don't have either of these items to perform such a test. I am visiting a friend tomorrow who may have something to reverse the phase between mic and Tx though. I know people with 411s here, but none in Blk 21, which is the bandwidth I'm in.

Definitely never experienced anything like the grounding hum with the 664 before. My whole system did short out a few times earlier this week, but I was assured by the person who built my power distro system that was just due to two spare lectro power jacks that were touching at the bottom of the bag while not in use. Taped them up, and no problems since. 

Cheers Jon. We will know within an hour or so, and I'll be sure to post back. I did do a pretty tough search for 411a/211 compatibilities before I got the unit, but really only came across users with UM200s and hybrid Rx, no plug on's. You know, I didn't want to cop a grilling from the Senator for either not RTFM or doing a search.

It will be a double edged sword if it turns out the unit doesn't like to play nice with Rode mics. My 416 kicked the bucket a few months ago, guess it might be time to upgrade to that CMC6MK41 I've been thinking about.....

Alternatively, instead of a 'reverse phase barrel' (to be honest, I don't quite know what that is, although it's function is obvious) could I wire a cable with reverse polarity to go between the mic and the plug on? It's held in a cage with a breakout cable anyway.

Travis

After testing with a variety of sennheiser, akg, and a shure dynamic, I have confirmed that the UH400a does work perfectly in 200 compatibility mode with all those mics, but for whatever reason does not play nice with the rode ntg3. The connector is, however, quite visibly worn and loose, and somewhat noisy, but I'll get a quote on replacing it and depending what that's going to set me back, will either repair or return. Otherwise though, comments here offered valuable insight which proved correct. Might even contact rode and see what they have to say. Time to upgrade to a new shotty though I think- guess all I needed was a good reason. I wonder if the UH400a plays nice with the schoeps cmc6mk41? Thanks for everybody's insights! Travis

FWIW, if you reverse the phase of the NTG3 it will work. Has something to do with how it gets phantom power, you basically need to switch which pin it gets phantom power on. From what I understand the mic is not reverse phase, so if you do use a phase reversing barrel, the phase should be switched again at the mixer... or receiver.