Bumble Bee invisible lav

Prahlad Strickland

I got a few packs through today. First impressions are nothing special to be honest.

It may well be a technique thing - as although they have some instructions for use, there are a few vague areas...

One thing I noticed - if you crush the fabric square between your fingers there is an audible 'crackling'. This is right next to any microphone placed in the cover - noisier than an overcover by a long way. The fabric is a synthetic with a softer 'foam' core with 2 porous surfaces. 

Also these don't seem to offer much if any wind protection.

Maybe I've got it all wrong and someone from Bubblebee could advise on exact usage. The small square of fabric punched in the middle was removed in my use when removing backing (is this correct?) The tape is similar to any medical/toupee type tape I have used (it's double sided). It lost its tack fairly quickly and would need to be replaced as often as any other tape I'd say. 

It may be that these are easier to hide, but didn't notice any benefit to the sound of the mic.

Cos-11, wisycom on a loose fitting shirt btw - in several 'usual' positions. 

Anyone else?

Simon

I got a few packs through today. First impressions are nothing special to be honest.

It may well be a technique thing - as although they have some instructions for use, there are a few vague areas...

One thing I noticed - if you crush the fabric square between your fingers there is an audible 'crackling'. This is right next to any microphone placed in the cover - noisier than an overcover by a long way. The fabric is a synthetic with a softer 'foam' core with 2 porous surfaces. 

Maybe I've got it all wrong and someone from Bubblebee could advise on exact usage. The small square of fabric punched in the middle was removed in my use when removing backing (is this correct?) The tape is similar to any medical/toupee type tape I have used (it's double sided). It lost its tack fairly quickly and would need to be replaced as often as any other tape I'd say. 

It may be that these are easier to hide, but didn't notice any benefit to the sound of the mic.

Anyone else?

Simon

Hi Simon,

Check out this video, it may offer some answers.

• 2 weeks later...

The piece of fur is a great idea. I use it all the time. a lot better then Mole Skin. It is especially useful with shirts - between rubbing fabrics or especially between the skin and the shirt on the neck when the mic is in the collar.

yea I've been thinking of this for a while! Ive been tapping together a couple of under covers to try and eliminates some noise but I'm so happy someone is coming out with a big piece of fur!

• 1 month later...

Anyone else?

Simon

I've just got a pack and have so far run to similar conclusions Simon. Needs proper testing, but to my ear the fabric is quite abrasive (even in the video the rep mentions the 'noisey' side - there shouldn't even be one of those!).  Further fiddling needed.

I've just got a pack and have so far run to similar conclusions Simon. Needs proper testing, but to my ear the fabric is quite abrasive (even in the video the rep mentions the 'noisey' side - there shouldn't even be one of those!).  Further fiddling needed.

I would not use that fabric. I use small fur instead like rycote over covers...

image.thumb.jpg.001df5112dcd12da3aeb6bdeHi Simon,

Check out this video, it may offer some answers.

Cant say Im impressed with these mounting techniques, which most seem to be set up for loads and loads of outright contact noise.

Im going to have to stick with my sammich, I use it for months, just adding new layers off stickit.

best,

steven 

Hi Christopher,

Here is a link to a full list of resellers: http://www.bubblebeeindustries.com/buy/

Thanks for that. I've been through that list - the U.S. resellers only stock the bubblebee lav cover. No worries. I'm sure I'll find the strain relief soon enough. 

edit: Matt at Pro-Sound hooked me up. Thanks Matt!

Edited by Christopher Salazar