TentacleSync units arrived

Jeff Wexler

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine arrived a couple of days ago. Very impressed with them. Tiny and easy to use.Look forward to the app being released. Luckily I am in the land of Pal or 25fps. Alas I need to update my computer to try out the trial sync program.  

I receive mine today , i installed a yosemite partition to test the software ..i will do some more extensive test soon but so far it seems to work very good..i only tried with only camera with an input i had in hand...my mac ...and it works!! ( it was 2 frame off but it my was fault cause i realize afterward that my mac shoot 29,97 fps and my nomad 25 ..)

Hi Jeff and all,

I think we would all be fascinated to find out about accuracy over time, so - might someone be able to run a Tentacle box against a Denecke or Ambient and see how the accuracy holds over a few hours?

Many thanks,

sb

I got my early bird a few weeks ago and picked up another bunch just Monday at Tentacle Sync HQ. Very nice operation they've got set up there. 

Started a shoot with them on Tuesday and so far no negative feedback, but it's only been a couple of days of course. Shooting with an Alexa, so this is probably the one scenario where the Tentacles can't shine quite as much. But a small success: the AC initially didn't want to leave the box on the camera. Too much stuff he said. But on day two he said, well they are so small, let's just leave them always connected. Excellent!

The cable is a perfect length, too, by the way. 

I don't want to be guilty of using JWSOUND for technical support but this is a brand new product and I'm not sure TentacleSync even has technical support up and running. In any case, here goes: simplest test of all, I setup one TentacleSync box (via setup software) for 23.98 and jammed it from my Denecke GR-2. TentacleSync took the jam, no problem, series of 3 rapid flashes green until disconnect, then solid green, slow single flash as expected. I then jammed a Denecke slate from the box. Timecode is correct but NO DATE displayed (userbits) on slate close. Jamming the slate directly from GR-2, timecode is again correct and DATE is displayed on slate closing. Anybody have any idea why this is happening?

Could it be user bits related? I dunno, but I read somewhere (this very thread?) that the tentacles doesn't support user bits. The only time I've ever thought of user bits was once when the date was of in metadata and that changes when I edited the user bits on some recorder.. just a 11pm going to bed thought

Keen to see how you all find this with the zaxcom maxx or Nomad,  which are certainly famous for their drift over the period of a full day.  

Enough to be a problem?,  love to hear any experiences.

​I have never had any drift or any timecode problems with any of my Zaxcom gear --- I really only wound up with the TentacleSync devices because I participated in their Indiego campaign --- I think it is a really nice product (even though I probably do not have a use for it at this time). If, in the past, I had ever had any problems with Zaxcom and timecode, I could have used any one of a number of outboard timecode devices. Never had the need and I can't imagine that I would use the TentacleSync box to deal with a problem I haven't had. 

​I heard from the TentacleSync people that userbits has yet to be implemented. There will be an update, soon, that supports userbits, but for now it's a no show.

Yes, seems like you're right. I was so sure I saw a box in the setup software to enter the UserBit into, but now I can't find that box anymore. No idea where I got that from. Maybe it was a dream...

Constantin: the way I know I have not had any drift is the fact that no one in post has ever even mentioned any discrepencies between my tracks, the slates and the camera (with cameras usually having a sync box, Denecke or Ambient, jammed from my recorder. I don't think the people in post are just being kind and not wanting to upset me --- the timecode systems just as worked, as they should, and everything synced up properly. I have never felt the need to do any of my own bench testing and comparisons. Maybe I've just been lucky? 

Keen to see how you all find this with the zaxcom maxx or Nomad,  which are certainly famous for their drift over the period of a full day.  

Enough to be a problem?,  love to hear any experiences.

​As someone who has owned a Nomad for more than a couple of years (and three Devas, for that matter), and keeps a pretty close eye on the operational characteristics of the many tools I use, I'm a bit curious as to how I'm so blissfully unaware of this "certainly famous" drift claimed in the above statement.  Perhaps some specific documentation would shed light on this apparently well-guarded secret.