TentacleSync units arrived

Jeff Wexler

The onboard mic seems pretty useless.  I think they'd be better off offering an input jack for reference audio.  Until then I'm going to build a cable that will join the Tent-TC with a Comtek for reference into a DSLR.

​had the same thought (although i haven't tested the onboard mic properly yet). actually the best of both worlds would be an input jack that senses if a external cable is plugged in and switches between internal mic and external audio. then again i guess it becomes a space and cost issue to have another input connector, and the idea of using a splitter cable should work nearly as well.

now if i could only find a really small and solid right angle mini-jack connector (i find the neutrik one a bit on the large side for something like this)..

speaking of cables: their mini-jack to lemo cable is well built (uses a neutrik mini-jack).

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone mentioned in this thread that is "geared towards the DSLR market." Is there anything about these units that would stop you from using them in place of any other sync box? These look amazing and at an amazing price. How do these compare straight up with the other popular options?

Edited by erice194

Is there anything about these units that would stop you from using them in place of any other sync box? These look amazing and at an amazing price. How do these compare straight up with the other popular options?

​well, the lockits have more features and have a proven track record, but personally i prefer the tentacle over all the other options simply because of size (and price).

32hours in my test, both unit show 1 frame drift vs the 633 (or they show no drift and the 633 drifted 1 frame ; )
battery is still holding up as well.

chris

Is the 633 on all the time?

​pretty much so, but not recording anything.
i switched it off twice for a minute when changing batteries though.

if i recall correctly it should hold TC for two hours when switched off (blinking blue light on). i'll run some tests on that too when i'm doing some real world test (i.e. with recorded audio and video on 2-3 units).

chris

(38hours in and recharging the second tentacle, still 1 frame on both units)

The TentacleSync package includes some Velcro patches, pre-cut to match the already attached Velcro on the bottom surface of the TentacleSync box. The recommended procedure, I imagine, is to use Velcro for attachment to DSLR cameras (or any other camera or device). The male Velcro on the TentacleSync box seems to be a fixed patch installed as part of the manufacturing.

Claire from Tentacle told me that the Tents work very well on Alexas and Amiras set to Regen external TC (as opposed to jamming) No Genlock involved. 

I confirmed it today with the camera crew: that's how we are working with it. So far, day 7, no complaints from post. 

The only other time I worked with a Tentacle was actually with Claire on a short a few years ago (with a prototype). Shooting on an Alexa there, too, again no issues. 

I did 2 productions in a row ( 180 shootingdays) with Arri Alexa without any TC box: no complaints from post.Currently shooting with Amira: same : no TC box,no complaints from post regarding sync.I use my trusted Ambient TC gen's on Sony only ( F5 and F 55)

I did 2 productions in a row ( 180 shootingdays) with Arri Alexa without any TC box: no complaints from post.Currently shooting with Amira: same : no TC box,no complaints from post regarding sync.I use my trusted Ambient TC gen's on Sony only ( F5 and F 55)

as has been said before: the phrase "no complaints from post" does not necessarily imply perfect sync. There are assistant editors still so used to manually syncing or re-adjusting takes by a few frames (and so fast at it) that they won't even bother calling you.

as has been said before: the phrase "no complaints from post" does not necessarily imply perfect sync. There are assistant editors still so used to manually syncing or re-adjusting takes by a few frames (and so fast at it) that they won't even bother calling you.

Yes, this is very true.  If you want to know you have to ask.  (And be prepared to explain what you are asking for over and over…)  No complaint doesn't mean things are perfect, at all.

I think Tentacle made the right choice re the crappy mic on their box, esp re the DSLR drivers.   I hope they decide to make a version with TriLevel sync someday

p

To Christian, for me personally after probably hundreds of discussions with post people, assistant editors, telecine operators and so forth, my general conclusion has been that there is rarely if ever "perfect sync" no matter what technology is employed. The lack of "perfect sync" and the frequent necessity to manually nudge or adjust things to achieve proper sync, is a function of many factors, only one of which is the accuracy of the various timecode systems in use.

+1 for Philip's comment which highlights some of the things I have been saying all along about being obsessed with the numbers. The best practice, in my opinion, is to use high quality proven timecode systems during production (certainly the one that are under your control as the sound mixer), make sure everyone else is on board with the same settings, then hope that it all works through the whole chain of command. This is why I still contend that if you don't hear anything from post you do have a high degree of confidence that what you did was proper and worked. We all know that when anyone has a sync problem of any sort, the sound department is usually the first to hear about it.

TC is still no exact science.Whatever box you put on the camera,the ass.editor always goes for the 'clap' to get the real sync.Maybe Tentacal will change this?I still just 'sync' all Arri cameras without any box attached.Seems to be no problem. 

To Christian, for me personally after probably hundreds of discussions with post people, assistant editors, telecine operators and so forth, my general conclusion has been that there is rarely if ever "perfect sync" no matter what technology is employed. The lack of "perfect sync" and the frequent necessity to manually nudge or adjust things to achieve proper sync, is a function of many factors, only one of which is the accuracy of the various timecode systems in use.

I agree. Perfect sync is rather hypothetical. What I try to do is talk to post people every now and then to see their level of satifaction with my sync work. Sometimes they are extremely happy because they have to do very little nudging compared with previous projects, and sometimes other post people will complain because they have to nudge a few takes per day. All that with the exact same equipment and workflow, of course. So there is no real standard as to what's achievable in terms of sync, it's different with every project, with every assistant editor I guess.

Here's is a quick solution for the lack of locking connector on the Tentacle (some shrink tubing and extra elastic band provided by them)

looks good, i might try the same with a right angle mini-jack cable.. something like this looks like it could be snugly attached with a low profile:

http://www.amazon.de/iProtect-Ersatzkabel-Klinkenstecker-Anschluss-Verbindungskabel/dp/B00JKCWOC6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1434617570&sr=8-2&keywords=dr+dre+klinke

http://www.amazon.de/Beats-Dr-Dre-Aux-Kabel/dp/B00FJRP91Y/ref=pd_sim_147_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1F5T8YHQWZN0RJDBAGSA

http://www.amazon.de/Aukru-Kopfhörer-Kabelführung-Monster-Studio-Solo/dp/B00JGFQTRI/ref=pd_sim_147_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=1F5T8YHQWZN0RJDBAGSA

chris