TentacleSync units arrived

Jeff Wexler

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been testing my two Tentacles vs my 633, 24 hours so far and still under 1 frame drift (flickering very fast between 0 and 1). Just like they advertised so they seem good to go :).

Battery life seem to be closer to 30 hours, rather than the 40 hours they were speaking of. Not that it really matters, it's a great battery life at 30 too, but is this what you guys are getting too or my batteries acting weird?

All in all, really happy with these little (tiny really) guys, awesome product, can't wait to test them on location :).

Bonus: I just hit 1 full Frame dif between one of the Tentacles and the 633 at around 26 hours. The two tentacles are still under 1 Frame dif. 633 or tentacles drifting? Who knows? No one, that's who.

Once again, great product, Goodnight!

Edited by Rasmus Wedin

Bonus: I just hit 1 full Frame dif between one of the Tentacles and the 633 at around 26 hours. The two tentacles are still under 1 Frame dif. 633 or tentacles drifting? Who knows? No one, that's who.

Once again, great product, Goodnight!

Hmm good question, there is a very accurate GPS clock, and also some atomic clocks are broadcast, I've got a cheap desktop model that receives a local atomic clock from somewhere. These could perhaps be some kind of absolute reference, but when I come to think of it, I've never seen any manufacturer offering a means of relating to these, or tuning their devices to them, except possibly Ambient? And SD use Ambient timecode chips don't they?

Anyone else know anything about whether this might be possible?

Ambient sell this master clock that'l tune to GPS and I think Denecke make one, too. With these you can find out which clock is drifting. 

With regards to battery life: I have not done a test, but I get at least three full days out of one Tentacle. That's with switching it off over night, but not during lunch. 

With regards to battery life: I have not done a test, but I get at least three full days out of one Tentacle. That's with switching it off over night, but not during lunch. 

Ok, seams like "atleast three day" would have to be more like in the 40 hours or so.

In other news :), My Tentacles are over 40 hours in and still under 1 Frame drift apart. Well, I have stuff to do so I'm shutting them off, but that's pretty good I would say.

Mmmm... Mine don't jam. Just the red light flashing faster when I try without ever turning into green mode... Will wait for an answer from Tentacle but if someone has an idea of what I'm doing wrong feel welcomed :) (Pinout is ok on my cables; my Mozegear Tigs jam A-1)

Ok, seams like "atleast three day" would have to be more like in the 40 hours or so.

No no. That's one shooting day. That's 9 - 10, maybe 11 hours. So it'll be a max of 33 hours for three days. Then either I swap them out or there's maybe another half day in them. So 37-40 hours in real life seems like a good number. 

Mmmm... Mine don't jam. Just the red light flashing faster when I try without ever turning into green mode... Will wait for an answer from Tentacle but if someone has an idea of what I'm doing wrong feel welcomed :) (Pinout is ok on my cables; my Mozegear Tigs jam A-1)

As it currently stands, the tentacle sync boxes must match the frame rate of your incoming TC source. Frame rate must be adjusted from the tentacle sync setup app. Possibly what you are experiencing?

No no. That's one shooting day. That's 9 - 10, maybe 11 hours. So it'll be a max of 33 hours for three days. Then either I swap them out or there's maybe another half day in them. So 37-40 hours in real life seems like a good number. 

That's exactly what I said.

That's exactly what I said.

so you did. somehow I read that as "more than 40 hours"

Totally OT: on the mobile version of this site, I am suddenly getting and creating layered quotes. So when I quote someone and then they quote me, their reaponse includes my quote of them. And so on. Resulting, eventually I gues, in really really long replies with endless nestled quotes

Constantin: you're right and I don't mind off topic when you need to point something out. I just recently checked the box that allows "Nested Quotes" to see what that would function and look like --- well, I don't like it so I'm going to turn it off.

great, I don't like it either 😉