Dipole Antennas on bag/Harness

KGraham045

I have been using whips with my Zaxcom Qrx100s and Mic Plexer 2 and want better range and am interested in getting some Dipole antennas ( any specific recommends?). I Know this has been covered before (I'm having a little trouble finding exactly what I'm looking for) but before I buy them just wanting to ask if anyone has any tips and or pictures of how they've had success and how they mount them to their harness or get them out of the bag as I mainly do bag work.

Edited by KGraham045

I'm running a bag rig with 2 x QRX100 and a mic plexer fed by one SNA600 and one whip. Way better range even with one SNA, even when working in dual mode. On whips alone I wouldn't really use dual mode as range was to unreliable, I will mod to two SNA's soon but even if only one it makes a big difference.

C.

I'm running a bag rig with 2 x QRX100 and a mic plexer fed by one SNA600 and one whip. Way better range even with one SNA, even when working in dual mode. On whips alone I wouldn't really use dual mode as range was to unreliable, I will mod to two SNA's soon but even if only one it makes a big difference.

C.

mod how?

mod by disconnecting the whip and attaching a second SNA600! - similar looking rig to TJ (which I copied) but mine a bit more compact as the BNC/main part of the SNA sits inside the front pouch. I never tried this for ages as always got hung up on thinking the antennas needed to be higher up, clear of the bag like on the harness or some sort of rig. Not needed at all, they work very well at bag level.

Another alternative, which works well for me, is to run BNC up your harness with the lowest block of whip antennae that you use at the top. Just the act of raising your antennae will increase your wireless performance, but you all knew that right? ;)

Another alternative, which works well for me, is to run BNC up your harness with the lowest block of whip antennae that you use at the top. Just the act of raising your antennae will increase your wireless performance, but you all knew that right? ;)

​YMMV, but this goes against common RF practice. A whip needs a ground plane, which is normally the receiver case, a car roof etc.

Dipoles sort of supply their own ground plane, therefore will work attached to a cable, as will a shark fin, or a Comtek phase right antenna.

The senator would not approve of mounting a whip on the end of a cable with no ground plane, nor would I.

Regards,

Jim Rillie

A more bag-oriented dipole could be a good product for someone to develop. Something a little more compact maybe with a clip or bracket of some sort to clip onto a bag. Rubberized antennas maybe? Less metal edges to get caught on stuff.

The SNA600 has all that extra length... 

Maybe a good project for RF Venue?

Lectro's diy dipole how to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5pkmrzsPHs

Peter beat me to the punch of posting Gordon's video.  Here's a companion link to go along with it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321479756826?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Buy one of these for seven bucks, cut it in two, pick up some proper heat shrink tubing, follow Gordon's instructions, and for a real bargain price you have two antennas, each with a proper ground plane and a two foot extension terminated with the needed SMA connectors. 

Being primarily vertical wires, they're easy to attach to a harness.  They can also be rolled up and easily carried in your bag.

You can cut them shorter, prior to fabrication, if that works better for you.

If I were making the DIY antenna as demonstrated by Gordon in the video, and I was going to use it on a Venue receiver unit that spans multiple blocks, would I be better off cutting the antenna length to the highest block in the Venue or the lowest block ? or could I cut one antenna to the lowest and the other the highest ? I know receiver antenna size isn't as critical as transmitter antenna size, but for the sake of argument, if we were going for the most ideal situation, what would be best?

If I were making the DIY antenna as demonstrated by Gordon in the video, and I was going to use it on a Venue receiver unit that spans multiple blocks, would I be better off cutting the antenna length to the highest block in the Venue or the lowest block ? or could I cut one antenna to the lowest and the other the highest ? I know receiver antenna size isn't as critical as transmitter antenna size, but for the sake of argument, if we were going for the most ideal situation, what would be best?

I would cut it to the centre frequency.

Yes the SNA600a has some circuitry embedded, RF choke or impedance matching like Rado said or something.. Not sure what the advantage is but it is definitely not present in a home brew coax dipole. Maybe someone who understands these things better than I can comment.