Dipole Antennas on bag/Harness

KGraham045

Jose and Tony have both posted images (Jose's may be the same image "quoted" from Tony, I don't know) and the other images and video are all links which should work. The images that are not showing have not been posted properly or were posted as links (not an upload) and the links are broken. I am not able to access these images either. Not much I can do from my end, sorry.

Jose, in working with your setup, when you set your bag down to take a break, do you leave the harness attached to the bag, or do you have quick releases for the antenna? I usually keep my harness on at all times de/attaching the bag as needed. That is my only hesitation in using your setup.

Not the most elegant setup, but the range boost is worth it.

IMG_0366.JPG

The dipole cable is essentially the same thing, with probably the same performance, with fewer connections and nearly invisible, not to mention much less expensive. The dipole cable is definitely the way to go for external antennas on bag rigs. 

They're Sound Devices 664 knobs. I like the feel of them better than the stock Nomad knobs. They have a little bump at the front of the knob that I think makes them a little easier to grab when I'm not looking.

Good to see the HN headset with talkback boom being used, too.

Thanks, Glen. Love the high noise headset and the slate mic is super useful. The high noise headset was essential in protecting my ears from gun shots, noisy boat motors, and a hundred other things on the police show I just worked on and I loved having the slate mic to have private convo's with producers on Comteks. 

I have the dipole cables that Lectro makes (in Block 20) in addition to the SNA600's. In my experience, the SNA600's got me better range, but it's certainly not scientific and not dramatically better. Just my experience. I'm still going back and forth between the two. 

Jose, in working with your setup, when you set your bag down to take a break, do you leave the harness attached to the bag, or do you have quick releases for the antenna? I usually keep my harness on at all times de/attaching the bag as needed. That is my only hesitation in using your setup.

the coax dipoles rigged on my harness are now terminated to BNC, which is a quick disconnect. I keep the harness on at all times.

I have the dipole cables that Lectro makes (in Block 20) in addition to the SNA600's. In my experience, the SNA600's got me better range, but it's certainly not scientific and not dramatically better. Just my experience. I'm still going back and forth between the two. 

I too have the same experience, but the coax dipoles work pretty darn well for almost all my bag jobs.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice!

I've been planning on doing something like this for a while - everything I was thinking about wasn't nearly as elegant so I will be stealing your idea.

Excellent, great to be able to make a small contribution, I've learned a lot from this forum, and a great many things on the Zaxcom front from you Jack. :)

Edited by pindrop