DIY sharkfins (Ramsey LPY41)

jason porter

Thanks. My question is, why did you run a piece of RG-58 to the back of the antenna? Why not just directly connect the receiver with one cable from the front as shown in my sketch?

I want to know if there is a technical benefit to adding this short stub of coax.

1 hour ago, Paul F said:

Thanks. My question is, why did you run a piece of RG-58 to the back of the antenna? Why not just directly connect the receiver with one cable from the front as shown in my sketch?

I want to know if there is a technical benefit to adding this short stub of coax.

See post #35 by Larry F (Lectrosonics)

• 1 month later...

I made up two of Kent's LPDAs. I made one with the SMA connector facing down as shown in my sketch (post 50) and one with the SMA and coax mounted along the spine of the LPDA as most people do it. Using an Anritsu spectrum analyzer, I didn't measure a meaningful difference; 1db improvement (at best) dressing the coax to the back. I did not solder the coax to the spine as Larry specifies in post 35. Kent said not to solder the coax to the spine if dressing to the back. It isn't clear from Larry's notes how to solder the coax to the spine; all along the length or just at one point?