Arri Amira and ERXtcd

Tony Johnson

Remember that:

1) Timebase

2) Time Code

3) Frame Rate

4) Project Rate

5) Sensor Rate

...are actually each a different thing.  Too many people think they're only dealing with one number and become confused when those numbers don't coincide.

In this case, start by making sure that the Sensor Rate, Project Rate, Frame Rate, and Time Code rate are all set the same.

I got that happened twice with Alexa. One I just hopped the erx like that all the time. Second time, the camera team told me because I hopped the erx with incompatible tc, cause the camera not working properly ( restarted twice... Not sure if my erx cause that or something else) So they unplugged erx, and refused to plug it back again even for testing. I used the reference audio, and digit slate for the rest of the shoot.

Remember that:

1) Timebase

2) Time Code

3) Frame Rate

4) Project Rate

5) Sensor Rate

...are actually each a different thing.  Too many people think they're only dealing with one number and become confused when those numbers don't coincide.

In this case, start by making sure that the Sensor Rate, Project Rate, Frame Rate, and Time Code rate are all set the same.

All above numbers are 25 in Amira

and erx TC output is 1v

What happens is when I plug erx into TC in on Amira it picks up the code and that matches code on nomad, then it flashes the warning in photo and also alternates with another warning saying "no timecode source" . So it's like it sees the code and picks it up but then acts if there is no longer a TC source. I just unplug BNC and let the arri int code take over but would like to get to bottom of it. 

tony

On some cameras I've had this problem when the camera was somehow set to a varispeed mode.  A Red has been known to do that on its own.

On an Alexa, I've encountered the mismatched sensor rate issue.  So far I've had nothing but good success when feeding an Amira, but admittedly that was at 23.976.  The Amiras I've worked with all seem to lock to time code even more readily than the Alexa.

One volt is the ERX time code output setting that I've used with Alexas, Reds, and Amiras -- all with good success, so you're probably okay there.  Have you tried with a different ERX?

I had this exact prob couple days ago, worse though as the amira didn't even pick up the tc from the erx, it came up with the same error as above. I then jammed TC direct from my Fusion and that worked straight away. Def seems to be an erx isssue. I tried lots of different voltage settings also. That said I know my erx's aren't running the latest firmware.

C.

Hi John I too have had the same warnings when cams off speed so I am familiar with the warning. 

I have tried two erx and two Amira same result all at 25fps. I have not had a note from post saying the code is different and I suspect it's fine but maybe it's the "type" of code from zax which I think is different from ambient. This is NOT with new erx firmware

Are your ERXs set using Auto Frame Rate or Manual?  Whichever you're on, try the other.

Also, if the circumstances allow, try another frame rate to see how that behaves.

About a week ago I fed two Amiras both time code and a scratch track via ERXs and encountered no problematic behavior.  What version of ERX firmware are you running?

Glad to help.  You might want to use either the recommended ERX firmware vers. 1.37 or the newly released 2.01 beta which has some nifty new features.  I think 1.33 had some reported potential audio glitching issues.  I've done a bit of testing with 2.01 and so far it appears suitably solid.

But, if vers. 1.33 is accomplishing your pressing needs, you may just wish to wait.

Whilst Fury has not jammed to an Amira, The RED cameras required 1.33 @ 2.0 volts, fro,m his ERX's, for joy, at all available rates and matched in camera, of course..  

Testing two ERX's,  on RED cameras, with V 2.00, gave joy, as set above, whilst versions between 1.33 and 2.00 were inconsistent wrt Tc @ 23.98 on RED Dragon.  Perhaps gthe OP could report on the voltage required to sustain Tc on the Amiras, under different Tc rates.

Additionally, Fury did calibrate two of his ERX's to the Nomad Tc generator's Tc and the variance was fairly small.  It is important, AFAHK, to have the calibration done in relatively pristine electronic conditions and then to have the calibration option disabled, to prevent spurious values, on set bootups, etc..  It is also not unexpected to see + and/or - values, for calibration results, as not all crystals are created equal...

Fury apologizes, for his tardy response...

Thank you very much

Fury

I don't recall having any issues jamming time code into an Epic or Scarlet Red, or most any other camera for that matter, with an ERX set at 1v.

​That is likely  cuz it wasn't a problem, until EPIC X  begat Dragon.  Dragon had different hardware and correspondingly different firmware.  Rare success at 23.98, on Dragon FW versions, until the 2volt and pother code changes by Zaxcom and RED, enabled robust connectivity at all Tc's, with the Zax versions that Fury dutifully noted above.  

Thank you very much

Fury