Suggestion for Sony UWP-D Seires

Ronen

Hi guys,

This post is directed for those people using Sony UWP series receivers (URX-P03) as IFB for directors/ boom ops and such.

I am suggesting to Sony to have in their next firmware update an IFB mode that will have the volume control for headphones without accessing menu, i think it is very uncomfortable for the non techies to access menu just for a simple thing as volume.

I am looking to put a bit of peer pressure on Sony from the few people who bought these units, so i'm saying if you have these units and you think it is uncomfortable let's try to change it...

Opinions? anyone?

Good luck! Sony don't tend to respond to peer pressure.

​My intention was to bring more people to them in order to change it,

If you have this receiver and find it annoying please write to them as well.

I'm trying to be optimistic for a change, it's not so easy for me as well.

While you're at it, could you ask them to stop randomly placing buttons and sockets in different positions on each of their cameras?  Ask if they can keep the headphone socket in the same place, the menu buttons on the same side, and some proper audio meters that aren't blocked by the operator's head.  Oh and input XLR sockets at the back please.

While you're at it, could you ask them to stop randomly placing buttons and sockets in different positions on each of their cameras?  Ask if they can keep the headphone socket in the same place, the menu buttons on the same side, and some proper audio meters that aren't blocked by the operator's head.  Oh and input XLR sockets at the back please.

Please dont get me started on this one...

I especially liked the fs7100/700 cameras where each XLR input is in a different place

Good idea from the OP. They are a good com system. I don't much like showing people how to use them either. Hah.

That's the attitude i'm looking for here, I know clients that will immediately lose concentration when talking about buttons and menus, it should be kept short for them.

Trying to take the proactive approach i emailed Sony support and they replied to me that they sent my suggestions to japan.

This is the email : http://www.sony.co.uk/pro/article/support-contact-us-for-support

Thanks

I have a bit of a dialogue open with Sony at the moment because of the fault I have encountered with 5 (!!!!!) of their plug on Tx's. I have had one replaced, both of which had this issue, and my friend who owns three reports all of his have the same fault. The guy at Sony refers to it as the 'supposed problem' and says no one else has had this issue, which I find hard to believe.

We will see.

I'll mention the desire for a firmware upgrade to him when we next speak. May be that we need more presence in the community to warrant it though. I dunno.

I think we definitely need to have presence as pro users of Sony,

that was exactly my point, these units have a very versatile potential, cheap wireless lav with the option for a great IFB system all in one.

Can you elaborate on the problem you have with the plug on? I also have one (not very pleased with)

I think Sony's response to this depends on what the UWP-D series is aimed for, i.e. is this receiver equipped with a proper headphone driver?

I don't own this unit. I own a few Sennheiser G3 which I regularly use as oneway coms. The EK 300 IEM is equipped with a headphone driver and a pot to adjust volume; if I need to use an EK 100 (intended to drive a prosumer line or mic input) for a headphone, I usually use it in conjunction with a headphone amplifier like FiiO Kilimanjaro 2 or Altronics K5508.

- Andy