Zaxcom Nomad new version

DT301

Hi there, Dimitri here, I own a Maxx and I am debating buying a nomad after selling my 788T. 

I like zaxcom products  and I am very interested in the nomad. However I am not a fan of how unsterdy they feel, especially the power on switch and the cf mirror card on the nomad.

Anybody knows if zaxcom will come out with a new Nomad soon? 

Thanks 

There were a batch of bad power switches in a very early run of the Nomad. Unfortunately i received one of them. The new switch that was installed has worked without problem under heavy use. The mirror card has never been an issue of me either. After early production flaw issues were worked out, the Nomad has been great. 

Nomad's power switch is just a standard slide switch.  While not as robust as some designs, they've been around for many years as a low cost and generally-reliable switch.  I power mine externally, so don't use the Nomad's switch too often.

I have no idea how someone considers the CF card slot "unsterdy."  The biggest issue I've discovered with CF card readers in general is they need to have a deep enough throat so the card doesn't go in a bit cockeyed and bend the pins.  This one fits the bill fine and I'm unaware of any reports of issues.

The MENU knob and the HP knob are not just simple potentiometers, but are encoders, each with a variety of functions.  As a result they feel a bit wobbly or loose to the touch.  (Correction: The Menu Selector is an encoder while the Headphone control is a pot that also incorporates a switch.)  Many of us were leery of them early on, however, they seem to be withstanding the test of time and, to my knowledge, reports of failure have been few and far between, to almost non-existant.

As Zaxcom is investing energy in both the TOUCH and OASIS Nomad add-ons, as well as continual firmware improvements, I would guess that any Nomad replacement is way down the road.

The Nomad headphone control is a pot and the menu control is an encoder. They do ware out but are very easy to replace as they are just soldered to the front panel board. These two controls hold up well but would be part of a maintenance that would be done every few years depending on use of the product.

Glenn

I have an extremely early release Nomad8 and, apart from some initial firmware wonkiness, it really has been rock solid. I've only just sent it in this week to have all the modifications and updates that have been released since then.

The only thing I would recommend, from experience, is that you put a screen protector on it as soon as you get it. Because the plastic overlay is impossible to replace on its own--or so I'm told--it's a $300 repair. I had to get mine replaced because it was simply too scuffed to see through in sunlight, and I was concerned that cutting around the screen and putting on a replacement of my own would compromise the water resilience of the front panel. Definitely getting sticker shock from the whole process, but I guess it's the cost of doing business.

The Nomad headphone control is a pot and the menu control is an encoder. 

Of course, the headphone control is more than just a simple pot as it selects headphone matrixes as well as controls the headphone level. So, to be more accurate, the Menu Selector is an encoder while the Headphone control is a pot that also incorporates a switch.

You can also switch the zaxnet antenna to a much smaller one. It will be less in the way and will stress less the connector. Ambient makes a tiny one. Range will not be drastically diminished. Appart from small glitches in the beggining my nomad has been very reliable for me. It never let me down. I do wish that certain design elements were different such as: - Faster dedicated record button on the right - integrated battery slot (np1 or equivalent) that have enough capacity to power and distribute power to a bag for 4-5 hours. - foldable sun hood - more durable screen - zaxnet antenna on top But all in all i love my nomad.

I did have a case of a mashed flat pin in the mirror slot early on with my Nomad 12. I was always careful installing the card. I don't know when it happened. I never felt any unusual resistance during insertions. I had had the machine in and out of the factory for other mods and upgrades around the time that I noticed the flattened pin. It was a ground pin. The machine was having some less than complete mirroring issues at the time. I don't know if they were related. To repair it required an entire new mother board. Perhaps the throat of the card slot could be deeper, to more perfectly align the card with the delicate pins. I have since been, even more than I had been, exceedingly cautious and patient when installing cards. Since I haven't read of this incident as common, I trust that it is rare. Over all I have been very happy with my Nomad 12; an impressive machine. -JW 

• 1 year later...

My record button is getting progressively harder to use to the point of getting a sore finger sometimes. Frustrating when I have to press it more than once to start recording. My dealer tells me it needs a full panel replacement. My Nomad is serial #10219  - well out of warranty.

Anyone else have buttons failing?

same thing here. But should i glad that before the rec button totally fail , the lcd display just broken after a freeze on the machine ,which is just sit tight in a bag on cart. After the reboot, white screen all the time. I send back to Zaxcom for repair

My Nomad 10 (upgraded from a six) has been a solid performer for about four years.  I did have a minor problem with the headphone jack, but with guidance was able to repair it myself.  I installed a record switch about 6 months ago which is a game changer.  You might want to look into doing that Dave.  There are some threads on here and instructions in the manual as to how to implement it.  The best thing about it is you can go into record no matter what menu screen you're in, or PFL.  You can be in or out of record with a flick of a switch.

My nomad is one of the earlier module I think, it was a Nomad 8 and upgraded to Nomad 12. It works solid for me, I traveled with this machine many countries from -20 grad in the alps to over 40 grad in middle east,  I can only remember some software bugs during the last years, hardware works solid and reliable.. I am considering to buy a Maxx to build a smaller bag for small jobs..