Another micro recorder: Instamic

Philip Perkins

I am curious about that also. I think the app only handles control and operational data (commands). You get audio meters and the ability to manually adjust recording level (or input gain, whatever), start and stop the recording and maybe a few other features, not sure.

Wondered about this one too. Trying to think if situations where it could come to use. Also bummed that the video didn't really tell the quality of the recordings better. 

Also, the pro version is waterproof. Does that mean you could record with it under water ? 

Edit: ok, never mind. I found the spec sheet under the abstract "read the story". Yes, you can record under water apparently. Up to 5 feet. Hydrophones are always fun. 

Edited by Olle Sjostrom

interesting concept, especially the wave form display on the ios screen (would like to see something like this in the monitor/display options on bigger recorders). infuriating there is no way to monitor or even plug headphones in to check it sounds ok - obviously I/Ps & O/Ps of any kind would have complicated things but it makes the user a passenger if you can't check the recording til you've saved it to a computer. battery life and memory mean you can not leave it running all day. Some of the new tascam handhelds allow wireless monitoring iirc, not great i'm sure but something to work with.

I notice from the thread started by beartrax http://jwsoundgroup.net/index.php?/topic/25188-lily-camera/ the lily camera (drone) records sound which would be useless if the mic is not in the remote control (as opposed to the drone) - if the drone is recording picture where>how is the sound going?

Edited by daniel
make it better

So it works both above and under water? I thought hydraphones and microphones were constructed quite differently?

Quite interested how that one sounds. Will it be fine or does it sound like a crappy GoPro in it's housing? ;P

They don't claim it is a hydrophone, just that it is waterproof. You are correct that hydrophones require a different impedance to correctly pick up vibrations underwater.  

I wish they focused on the recorded sound in the presentation video. The background music made it impossible to discern the gadget's quality. 

Cheers,

Evan

You can listen Michele Baggio at the video's beginning without any additional music. It sounds not too bad but not a very clear sound. Not as good as a lav in my opinion. But it may be useful sometimes. 

Edited by VM