Zaxcom Nomad 12 Vs. Sound Devices 688

DT301

I am having a hard time deciding between these 2. I think Zaxcom sounds better but it's not so easy to use in comparison to SD that I have used for years.

Do you think sound devices will ever come out with DSP? 

I am curious to hear what you guys think.

My take is that the SD 7 series are primarily recorders with mixing features, while the 6 series are mixers with recording features. All of them can be useful. I don't think there's any sound quality differences, but there are differences in user interfaces, features, pricing, size, weight, and so on.

The "vs" mentality is counterproductive.  These are tools.  It's up to any professional to choose the best tool for the job based on their particular needs, circumstances, and preferences.

Can't tell you how many times I have read here that person A hates certain features of some device, while person B finds those same features essential. 

To the OP, you live in a major market with some big audio sales/rental companies. If you can't decide on paper rent both machines for a few days and base your decision on your newfound experience.

Many of us that live in smaller markets would kill for this opportunity. I am not joking when I say that when unable to make a decision based on info on paper/interwebs, I have tossed a coin to decide before ordering.

Agree with everything everyone said, but I'd like to add that you tend to look at specs and "sound quality on paper " (noise, snr, dynamic range and whatever) but forget the most important thing: what's it like to use?

I like the 664 and 633, but not so much because the sound is great, but because they're so easy to use. The 744 sounds better to me. Never used a Maxx or Nomad, but judging from reading people's testimonials on here they seem to sound great. But the thing that should really be the deciding factor isn't the sound quality, but rather everything else pretty much. I mean I wouldn't buy a gizmo that sounded like crap but was a joy to use, but I'd easily buy a machine that was easy to use over the machine that wasn't, even if it did sound a lot better. 

You'll probably be happy with any of those machines. 

Something to consider, and this is my experience (not a blanket statement or fact) 

I used both extensively (in a bag) and eventually chose to buy a Nomad.  The 788 w CL8 produced enough 'stray RF' to significantly affect the range of my Blk 25 lectros (411's) whereas the Nomad has no affect on them that I can see.

Those issues do not occur in the Sound Devices product the original post refers to as one of the possible choices. 

Both the Nomad 12 and the 688 can be seen, touched and might even be available for extended demos from NYC dealers. You'll certainly be able to arrange a rental and many dealers will credit trial rental charges towards your purchase. Also, when judging it's best to make files on both recorders of the same or similar material, drag them into the audio editor of your choice and A/B the recordings via the same playback chain.

Best regards,

Jim

I second Olle's sentiment about handling and operating. If you already know SD gear, it'll be easy for you to use the 688. although, that said, even the switch from 744 to 788 does require some learning. 

For me, when I need to move fast, I don't want to be fumbling around looking for a certain menu item or whatever. So renting both recorders for a couple of days may not suffice. You need to use them each for a full project

Edited by Constantin

I agree that we should try and avoid the whole "vs." thing in these discussions. Makes it all sound like a boxing match where someone needs to be knocked out. With most of these comparisons, the devices being compared are mainstream devices from highly reputable companies with a long history of providing outstanding tools for our industry. Most of the products are readily available and the best comparisons will be the ones done by the prospective buyer. You really need to use these things, personally, get to know each machine, the good, the bad and the ugly, then you can make a proper decision.

I understand everyone's antipathy to the "VS" discussions, but people usually do have to choose, and a less experienced soundie might not know a lot of other sound people personally to ask opinions of.  In NY and LA it is a simple matter to visit a shop and do a long checkout.  Other places this is not so simple and might involve a rental.  So being able to ask here what users like  and don't like about their rigs is very useful, as long as the tone stays positive, I think.

philp

Even If I was buying a recorder right now I will go for the Nomad. The form factor and the options are unmatched by any other recorder.

You get amazing simple to use package that sounds great and is easy to use. In addition you get wireless timecode/IFB if you go for nomad10/12.

Even when I use my maxx after a while I Start missing m Nomad.

If you require more than 6 faders on a regular basis you might argue that the 688 now has the best form factor due to the mini faders for inputs 7-12 right there within the main chassis. 

Correct me if I'm wrong but the weight of a bare 688 is less than 1 pound heavier than a Nomad + FP8. Not bad.

What do YOU need?  I have never really worked on a show that required more than 6-8 mics, and those that do, usually have more than 1 mixer.

The question - tailored for me... would be very tough to choose one or the other.

Zaxcom Nomad would give me Zaxnet control of my Zaxcom wireless, has digital I/O, but sound quality, weight, size - are all close enough to be a non-issue for me.  What I really really, I mean, really dislike about the Zaxcom recorders, is how they feel to use.  I'm definitely coming from a Sound Devices camp from past experience and dislike how illogical (for me) the buttons are laid out, the selection of button types, the use of shift features, the industrial / HUI design of the whole affair.  From a purely technical perspective, there's no question, Zaxcom all the way, but I don't live in a purely technical world.

Sound Devices 688 - no digital I/O, don't like the transport joystick, is a downgrade from the 664 in that it looses the filter pot.  I think the controls are too compact, wish they had left it 6 channels of controls and kept the 664 style layout.  In fact, does a 664 meet your needs?  Prices are good for those, has a good reliable old fashioned analog mix buss, and can still handle high track counts when needed.

SIDE NOTE - yes it is true that I will never ever buy a recorder that uses "membrane-like" soft buttons or shift function for transport function or a transport joystick.  I know that I'm abnormal for this strict criteria, as most everyone else gets over it - just something I have to deal with, which means that leaves me with recorder like the Aaton Cantar (which I own, but would have purchased a Zaxcom or SD product if they had met my criteria), Nagra VI (which I also own and love), and the new Zoom F8 (which seriously I'd recommend as a recorder if it does what it advertises as even though it is compromised, it is a wise entry investment into this biz).  For me the simple fact that the Zoom F8 has a dedicated RED record button, trumps the Nomad and 688 in my book.  (it's an interesting book, not for the feint of heart)

Can Zaxcom Nomad or Sound Devices 788 fit your market and future goals? It is safe investment for you? Getting one of these and selling it after 6 months to bring meal on the table is very easy to happen. Be careful and good luck.