Zoom F8

Michael Panfeld

Hello Samuel

I'd like to know how much Zoom wants to invest in this product. I see a recent firmware update, but not so significant for semi-professional use. With all the feedbacks from all over the world, now Zoom knows that with little improvement that product could be great. But maybe Zoom doesnt want to?.
I'm not sure of buying this product. It has a lot of good features but lacks of few things.
The easiest to fix would be the numbering of scenes and takes and shortcuts.  Hardware mods also could be improved.
Id' like to know if Zoom wants to fix these lacks or not. Maybe a ZoomF8 v2 in the middle of 2016?
Thanks a lot

Davide

Davide,

The first update was a couple of necessary releases. We continue to work on improving the firmware and adding features we are getting feedback about.

Stay tuned to our website and social media for more updates.

Thanks

Hi Samuel

You've clearly designed an entirely different animal than previous products, and I am aware you're taking these markets seriously.  That's great and I hear you listen to end users.  Hence products like H4 to H4N etc. The F8's a pretty impressive machine so far. Not all manufacturers do (I remember the first Fostex PD-2 and the other monster from HHB, both boat anchors and the former used to commit hari-kiri).  Moving 20+ years ahead, I have several initial questions:

1. Why no tape return to say a 3.5mm TRS?
  2. Why no other AUX outs, balanced and unbalanced, selectable-track(s) for IFB tx's?
  3. Why no menu option to switch from mic to line?  If you add that could it be switchable say 40 / 50 / 60dB?
  4. Option to record .wav (mono / poly) on first SD card (ten tracks) with second SD card .mp3 for transcription?
  5. In your opinion, if I ordered an F8 now and it didn't arrive until say March, might I get an F8N?  Sorry that's pretty subjective, but I do realise you guys are upfront here (and you wouldn't be able to kid my professional colleagues here anyway).  Just an opinion is OK.

Thanks

John

Hey John,

All great questions. I'll answer best I can.

1. Engineers choice. We have noted the interest in a tape or camera return. Obviously won't show up on the F8 but we will note for the future.

2. Same as 1. The outputs that are there are custom route-able.

3. This is a hardware spec. We have noted the want for the option for future products.

4. You can record WAV on SD 1 and MP3 of SD 2.

5. I would suggest going for the F8 now. We just shipped out more units, and there will be much more on the way before March.

Thanks

Samuel

Hi Davide

Please give these guys a go.  I know they make such things as H1's up to H6's and their little video cameras.  Yes, from a pro POV these are toys. But I really do believe Zoom are going in an entirely different direction with the F8, taking it seriously, and especially listening to their clients.  Sure it's a dinky company name / product, like one of your kids toys, but so what?

If you put your mind to the history of other companies that produce some of the beautiful other equipment we use or did use, you'd get the idea.  Nagra started (AFAIK) as an idea of a Polish guy in a concentration camp.  Well where did he go with that?  Sound Devices, Sennheiser, Zaxcom similar. Lectrosonics started producing portable PA's for buskers on the streets of NY in the 70's, produced their first VHF radio mic in I think 1988 and took it to NAB.  Gordon Moore actually told me (excuse me Gordon but it's a memory of our conversation some years ago now) in my lounge room "You know what John? It was a piece of crap.  But we listened to everyone there and came back next year with a much better piece of crap".  We're light years ahead now with some of these products.  Sound Devices first product, I think, was a two-channel mic-pre made by a few guys ex Shure.  Where are they now?  Well they all listened, to professionals like you and implemented hardware and firmware changes.  I assume you put your reputation on the line with equipment like Sound Devices, Lectrosonics, Ambient?  Well good thinking if you do.  Fostex screwed it up making their TC DAT machines in the 90's.  Why?  They didn't listen to pro's around the world, or if they did (I talked to some of their Japanese engineers once, which was difficult because it's not one of my languages), they didn't implement changes.

It's basically about firmware not hardware, they get most of the latter right the first time round.  See that little hole on the side of say current Sound Devices, Lectrosonics, Zoom F8 equipment?  Well it's a USB port - and you know what that means.  Things just get better.

Samuel's a Zoom guy from Zoom USA, and I bet he and his mates are emailing / phoning Japan every couple of days with your ideas.  That's called humility, and it makes good sense in business.  Down under here in Australia, the importer / wholesaler I've got to know only fairly recently and I really believe they're fair dinkum (see Google Translate or something).  I confess, after decades as a freelancer, I'm now mainly selling and renting good audio stuff.  Candidly, I'm a bit creaky now to go out and do a real job like you guys and girls.  But I will NOT sell or rent anything that I think is second rate to you or anybody.  I found the time last Thursday and Friday to get on the phone and sold twelve Zoom F8's (with their bags), there's a couple to go into our rentals in Sydney and Melbourne.  You have ears and you rely on them daily?  Well Zoom F8 people do, I'm convinced.

Just noticed somebody posted about Android as well as iOS9.1  I'm sure they'll do that.  Want it to make a good cappuccino?  Don't think so (sorry American coffee is toxic), buy it yourself.  Somebody else said they wouldn't buy an F8 because it's so cheap.  OK you can go and buy a 668, less food on the table for your kids but a beautiful machine.  I have a gut feeling Zoom won't quadruple the price in a year.  Maybe there'll be an F8N in a year with a some extra knobs on for a couple of hundred bucks more.  So what?  Just upgrade if you want - or accept the free firmware you guys will request.

You have ears?  Zoom have ears, just like the people at Lectro and so on.  Oh and read a couple of good unbiased critical reviews around.  That's my 2 cents worth anyway.

John

In the USA the X32 has a bad rep among live sound people--non-intuitive, and with a menu etc structure very unlike its competitors.  OK for small cheapo venues and bars maybe, but absolutely no venue of any size, standing or class that I've worked in uses the X32.  In a situation where your rep is really on the line all the time in front of people who are smart and experienced enough to notice the details of your work the low price of the X32 (and the F8) aren't really very attractive factors--in fact the price is a negative attribute.

Yes, Yamaha.  The CL5 is my current fave-it is a really great sounding console.

The X32 and M32 have a very easy to use software, isn't very flexible in some things (Routing), but is very easy, easier than Digico (For example) (For me, of course). 

Both desks sounds good. But the Behringer have "el cheapo" faders (the M32 have the good ones) and a different preamp than the M32 (The M32 have the same as his sisters of Pro series but the machine is only 48kHz instead 96kHz of the Pro's).

I'm usually touring as freelance with different bands, an sometimes I had to work with the X32 or the M32 (I prefer this desks than some others such as a LS9)

•  
Edited by ramallo

Hi John from down under:

Your point that this is a device worth keeping an eye on as it develops is not lost, nor am I disputing it.

However, I don't think your company analogies bear out very well.  The Sound Devices team came from a company that makes (among other things) mixers for a professional market.  Jon, et al, formed their own company with the goal of making even better quality, purpose built equipment for a higher-end professional market.  Some of the other companies also have a more substantial professional pedigree than does Zoom.  That's not meant to knock Zoom, nor intended to assuage anyone from considering their products -- I just don't wish to see non-analogous analogies offered as if it adds credibility to a company.  I think the F8 should stand on its own, and if it, indeed, is a great value for the money, I'm sure it'll find an appropriate following.  As well-established as Zoom is in the amateur and semi-pro world, it would surprise me if they abandoned that market for our much smaller user base.  That's not to say that they can't also build products for another market -- we'll see if it works out that way.

For an established pro, I don't see the F8 as a primary machine, however, for an entry-level recorder, or as a backup for a more expensive system, it may well find a place in our world.  Time will tell.

It's great that Zoom is listening.  They're not alone in understanding that with the advent of instant internet communication, and forums such as this, any company that ignores user input does so at their own peril.

Just received my F8 tonight and have been checking it out. Overall happy with the unit but there are a few quirks I will need to figure out. The most  important issue I have found is SD compatibility. I tried out 2 Delkin 64gb 600x cards and they fail the performance test however much slower cards from Sandisk and Toshiba test fine. As for the headphone amp, its not bad. Its not as strong as what was in the Roland R-88 I came from however it seems more than adequate. I also feel that running it as a 4 channel with safety tracks puts it in line with a 744t in the professional sense. That is ultimately where I feel the unit competes. Anywho, its a solid unit with easy menu navigation and more routing options than I expected. I will be experimenting with it over the next few weeks, in particular with power consumption.

On 1 December 2015 at 8:36:49 AM, Soundequip said:

I found the time last Thursday and Friday to get on the phone and sold twelve Zoom F8's (with their bags), there's a couple to go into our rentals in Sydney and Melbourne

How did you manage 12? I've been being put off again and again with local retailers in Australia saying they have received one unit at a time for months. Do you want to sell another?

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2015‎ ‎6‎:‎26‎:‎19‎, Sixnon said:

How did you manage 12? I've been being put off again and again with local retailers in Australia saying they have received one unit at a time for months. Do you want to sell another?

Hi Davide

Please give these guys a go.  I know they make such things as H1's up to H6's and their little video cameras.  Yes, from a pro POV these are toys. But I really do believe Zoom are going in an entirely different direction with the F8, taking it seriously, and especially listening to their clients.  Sure it's a dinky company name / product, like one of your kids toys, but so what?

If you put your mind to the history of other companies that produce some of the beautiful other equipment we use, you'd get the idea.  Nagra started (AFAIK) as an idea of a Polish guy in a concentration camp.  Well where did he go with that?  Sound Devices, Sennheiser, Zaxcom similar. Lectrosonics started producing portable PA's for buskers on the streets of NY in the 70's, produced their first VHF radio mic in I think 1988 and took it to NAB.  Gordon Moore actually told me (excuse me Gordon but it's a memory of our conversation some years ago now) in my lounge room "You know what John? It was a piece of crap.  But we listened to everyone there and came back next year with a much better piece of crap".  We're light years ahead now with some of these products.  Sound Devices first product, I think, was a two-channel mic-pre made by a few guys ex Shure.  Where are they now?  Well they all listened, to professionals like you and implemented hardware and firmware changes.  I assume to put your reputation on the line with equipment like Sound Devices, Lectrosonics, Ambient?  Well good thinking if you do.  Fostex screwed it up making their TC DAT machines in the 90's.  Why?  They didn't listen to pro's around the world, or if they did (I talked to some of their Japanese engineers once, which was difficult because it's not one of my languages), they didn't implement changes.

It's basically about firmware not hardware, they get most of the latter right the first time round.  See that little hole on the side of say current Sound Devices, Lectrosonics, Zoom F8 equipment?  Well it's a USB port - and you know what that means.  Things just get better.

Samuel's a Zoom guy from Zoom USA, and I bet he and his mates are emailing / phoning Japan every couple of days with your ideas.  That's called humility, and it makes good sense in business.  Down under here in Australia, the importer / wholesaler I've got to know only fairly recently and I really believe they're fair dinkum (see Google Translate or something).  I confess, after decades as a freelancer, I'm now mainly selling and renting good audio stuff.  Candidly, I'm a bit creaky now to go out and do a real job like you guys and girls.  But I will NOT sell or rent anything that I think is second rate to you or anybody.  I found the time last Thursday and Friday to get on the phone and sold twelve Zoom F8's (with their bags).  You have ears and you rely on them daily?  Well Zoom F8 people do, I'm convinced.

Just noticed somebody posted Android as well as iOS

On 5 December 2015 at 6:26:19 AM, Sixnon said:

Hi Sixnon

Will get two units with bags (important IMHO) today but they were  ordered some time back.  They have to go to a university who ordered two to be delivered before 31 Dec or they lose their budget. Wrote a long winded post to you on weekend then stupidly deleted before hooting submit. Drop me an email at info@soundequip with your details or call on mobile and I'll go over it. Sorry haven't got home right now. I'm also hanging out for more critical reviews of pros who have put the machine through its paces. My opinion means zip until I've read these and played with one myself.  Think I've now ordered approx 30, a couple for our rentals and some for sale. Don't wasn't to use this forum as a means of selling stuff but learning. But I can do you a quotation separately via email but don't want to sell you one if its not right for YOUR needs, so a chat would be good later. 

John

Sixnon

And don't just listen to salesmen but listen to people who've spent of lot of their time with their fingers on faders. It's your money and your reputation. 

Thanks for clarifying John,

In fact I have in the post the 1 machine that the retailer received (their prior 1 unit received over six weeks ago). I hope Zoom sort their supply chain issues out, as regardless the quality of the device these kind of issues give further cause for concern about reliability of customer service..even for those considering one for backup alone.

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2015‎ ‎9‎:‎21‎:‎52‎, John Blankenship said:

Hi John from down under:

Your point that this is a device worth keeping an eye on as it develops is not lost, nor am I disputing it.

However, I don't think your company analogies bear out very well.  The Sound Devices team came from a company that makes (among other things) mixers for a professional market.  Jon, et al, formed their own company with the goal of making even better quality, purpose built equipment for a higher-end professional market.  Some of the other companies also have a more substantial professional pedigree than does Zoom.  That's not meant to knock Zoom, nor intended to assuage anyone from considering their products -- I just don't wish to see non-analogous analogies offered as if it adds credibility to a company.  I think the F8 should stand on its own, and if it, indeed, is a great value for the money, I'm sure it'll find an appropriate following.  As well-established as Zoom is in the amateur and semi-pro world, it would surprise me if they abandoned that market for our much smaller user base.  That's not to say that they can't also build products for another market -- we'll see if it works out that way.

For an established pro, I don't see the F8 as a primary machine, however, for an entry-level recorder, or as a backup for a more expensive system, it may well find a place in our world.  Time will tell.

It's great that Zoom is listening.  They're not alone in understanding that with the advent of instant internet communication, and forums such as this, any company that ignores user input does so at their own peril.

Hi John

You said "I just don't wish to see non-analogous analogies offered as if it adds credibility to a company".  Not the point at all.  I've got no shares in Zoom.  I referred to the F8 in the context of standards that have been set by other reputable companies like Lectro, SD, Ambient.  All these companies started small (ref my comment about Lectro making portable PA's for NY buskers) and just got better and better.  May I respectfully suggest you re-read what I wrote.  Now I'm going looking for more critical hands-on reviews for my education.  BTW, have you evaluated an F8?  If so, I'd read it with interest.

Hi Sixnon

Just replied to your email.  Re your post above, I wouldn't be too concerned about the supply chain issue.  I know why they stopped production, but as it was told to me probably in confidence, I shouldn't repeat it.  However, I can say that the reason given was similar to what you'd expect from reputable companies (e.g. Lectro, etc) run by engineers who like to get things right the first time, and it was a small mechanical issue.  Certain companies, perhaps an odd well-known camera company, are often run by sales and marketing people who tell the engineers when their product is going to be released, warts and all.  That's not good IMHO.  Firmware I'm not concerned about, as I believe these will be addressed via updates which are dead easy and fast to download via the USB port.  And I think Samuel from Zoom USA is lurking and listening here, highly likely feeding good constructive criticism back to the company.

3 hours ago, Soundequip said:

Hi John

You said "I just don't wish to see non-analogous analogies offered as if it adds credibility to a company".  Not the point at all.  I've got no shares in Zoom.  I referred to the F8 in the context of standards that have been set by other reputable companies like Lectro, SD, Ambient.  All these companies started small (ref my comment about Lectro making portable PA's for NY buskers) and just got better and better.  May I respectfully suggest you re-read what I wrote.  Now I'm going looking for more critical hands-on reviews for my education.  BTW, have you evaluated an F8?  If so, I'd read it with interest.

A bit too defensive.  I qualified my comments carefully but you appear to have missed that part in lieu of addeding your own spin.  I mean no offense, but find the analogies reaching.  My point being, we should let the unit stand for itself rather than lay claim that it makes Zoom into another Sound Devices, which it doesn't.  The latter's raison d'etre was premium quality professional sound gear.

If the unit under discussion offers a worthwhile quality/price ratio, so be it.  I have no problem with that.

Sure the Zoom F8 is no 688. I did NOT lay claim, as you said, that it was. It's intriguing what it is, and in fact I have no idea yet. That's because I've not tried one, and the useful critical reviews I've heard so far are interesting but there's not enough of them from which to identify probable negatives and positives. Then, like SD, we're only reading about V1.00, whereas a lot of the SD and Zax machines are well beyond that, having fixed bugs and adding good used-derived features. You might mean no offence,  but spin (bullshit?) isn't something I'm into, even if I were I wouldn't be very good at it.  "Non-analogous analogies" had to think about that phrase for a couple of seconds. Why didn't you just say it's not valid or a load of crap, I wouldn't be offended. The point I was making, which I don't think you took in, is that good companies like Lectro and SD started at the bottom and worked up. They didn't just appear.  Now I need to ask you something. Have you tried one briefly, evaluated properly, written a review? (Requires thee answers BTW). Maybe you should first before writing things such as the above.  I'm actually here to learn about them but I've learned nothing from you. Please go and read what I wrote again.  I would appreciate reading what you think so far of the F8. 

2 hours ago, Soundequip said:

Sure the Zoom F8 is no 688. I did NOT lay claim, as you said, that it was. It's intriguing what it is, and in fact I have no idea yet. That's because I've not tried one, and the useful critical reviews I've heard so far are interesting but there's not enough of them from which to identify probable negatives and positives. Then, like SD, we're only reading about V1.00, whereas a lot of the SD and Zax machines are well beyond that, having fixed bugs and adding good used-derived features. You might mean no offence,  but spin (bullshit?) isn't something I'm into, even if I were I wouldn't be very good at it.  "Non-analogous analogies" had to think about that phrase for a couple of seconds. Why didn't you just say it's not valid or a load of crap, I wouldn't be offended. The point I was making, which I don't think you took in, is that good companies like Lectro and SD started at the bottom and worked up. They didn't just appear.  Now I need to ask you something. Have you tried one briefly, evaluated properly, written a review? (Requires thee answers BTW). Maybe you should first before writing things such as the above.  I'm actually here to learn about them but I've learned nothing from you. Please go and read what I wrote again.  I would appreciate reading what you think so far of the F8. 

I admit to being totally puzzled that you wouldn't be offended if I had called your analogies "a load of crap" but seem incensed that I simply disagreed with them -- perhaps a cultural disconnect.

My apologies for any distress I may have caused.

3 minutes ago, Sixnon said:

certainly plenty of those twixt Australia & the US despite the usage of (purportedly!) the same language! :mellow:

4 minutes ago, Sixnon said:

certainly plenty of those twixt Australia & the US despite the usage of (purportedly!) the same language! :mellow:

Hi Sixnon

I'd actually disagree, I've got a number of genuine good friends in The States I know well, respect and like.  We seem to be very much on the same wavelength.  We're also both immigrant countries, Australia and the US, sharing a common history, and there's something there I can't really identify but it does seem to engender a mutual respect with one's neighbour, whether next door or across the Pacific.  I should add though, I've also got a black gay friend here who got the hell out of Georgia as soon as he could.  Language I have to be careful with sometimes though, as I've got a rubber in my desk here, not an eraser, which I use for correcting pencil-written mistakes.  Doesn't work very well for anything else.

John

I haven't tested yet but most have said similiar to a bit better than a G3 (100 meters). I needed a low budget option for low paying jobs but couldn't go back to something with a compander after being spoiled by Lectros. They sound clean but the included lav, while certainly usable, isn't as clean as the Rodelink is capable of. I would recommend a COS11d on these.

6 hours ago, John Blankenship said:

I admit to being totally puzzled that you wouldn't be offended if I had called your analogies "a load of crap" but seem incensed that I simply disagreed with them -- perhaps a cultural disconnect.

My apologies for any distress I may have caused.

I have been known to be wrong (occasionally), so if somebody said that's a load of crap John and they were right, I'd actually appreciate it.  Might have just learned something!  As to being incensed, definitely not, don't even know where you get that from. Apologies - not required as not offended.  Cultural disconnect - see what I just wrote to Sixnon before.  I did ask you three questions about the F8, got no response at all. (Have you tried one briefly, evaluated properly, written a review?).  I'll assume that means no you haven't, and move on to actually reading and learning from others who have.  Sorry, but I couldn't resist this, why do you offer a Fostex PD4 and Comteks in your kit to your clients?  It's 2015. Maybe you could update your PD4 to an F8 and the Comteks to the new VHF Lectro's? (Not meant in any offensive way).

seem a bit odd that the spec list the external power as 9-16V when a lot of lithium have a 16.6V max peak. i guess they have enough safety margin to handle this but i'd still prefer if the official specs covered that.

on the other hand they have a real nice listing on how long different kind of batteries last under different track counts, sample rates etc.: https://www.zoom.co.jp/products/handy-recorder/zoom-f8-multitrack-field-recorder#specs

i also like that it looks like you can customise the meter display on screen.

The fact that the specs read 9-16VDC scares me.  If I take a 14.4V or 14.8V NP1 Li-Ion off the cooker the voltage can be 17+V (unloaded) for the first five minutes or so.  Any comment Samuel (from Zoom USA)?  Will it melt?

The fact that the specs read 9-16VDC scares me.  If I take a 14.4V or 14.8V NP1 Li-Ion off the cooker the voltage can be 17+V (unloaded) for the first five minutes or so.  Any comment Samuel (from Zoom USA)?  Will it melt?

I've been wondering about that too... on page 20 in the manual there is an example of setting DC power supply with a nominal 14.8V battery pack, so I can only assume that the 9 to 16V limit is for the nominal value. But I would like to be sure of that before plugging in a charged pack.

I have been known to be wrong (occasionally), so if somebody said that's a load of crap John and they were right, I'd actually appreciate it.  Might have just learned something!  As to being incensed, definitely not, don't even know where you get that from. Apologies - not required as not offended.  Cultural disconnect - see what I just wrote to Sixnon before.  I did ask you three questions about the F8, got no response at all. (Have you tried one briefly, evaluated properly, written a review?).  I'll assume that means no you haven't, and move on to actually reading and learning from others who have.  Sorry, but I couldn't resist this, why do you offer a Fostex PD4 and Comteks in your kit to your clients?  It's 2015. Maybe you could update your PD4 to an F8 and the Comteks to the new VHF Lectro's? (Not meant in any offensive way).

It's not my kit that needs updating, it's my web site.  Years have flown by since I last updated it (too busy working -- thankfully) -- the Fostex should be a clue to how long it's been.  I've employed several iterations of recorders since then.

My current cart sports an Audio Developments mixer, a Zaxcom Deva recorder, Zaxcom and Lectrosonics wireless, as well as many other electronically empowered toys, and my bag and insert car kit is built around a Nomad 12 w/Touch interface as well as Zaxcom and Lectrosonics wireless (selection made as per needs).  I use a lot of other gear -- too much to list.

I've not checked out an F8 yet.  I might be interested in one as a backup to the bag rig, but I'm leaning toward a 633 -- you know, from that company that Zoom aspires to be (sorry, couldn't resist).

I've not checked out an F8 yet.  I might be interested in one as a backup to the bag rig, but I'm leaning toward a 633 -- you know, from that company that Zoom aspires to be (sorry, couldn't resist).

If you're like me and do a lot of gigs where you need a boom + couple wires, the 633 is a godsend in my opinion.  Thanks to the 633 and two SRB's + IFB transmitter, most of my gigs are covered perfectly and my back doesn't ache from lugging around tons of gear in my bag.

There is a Tascam HS-p82 MINT on ebay for $1200 starting bid (not mine by the way).  I can only assume due to the F8 coming out.  But I have an HS-p82 and I have to say, I am skeptical.  Why?  Because the HS-p82 mic pres sound better than the Sound Devices USBpre 2 that I had.  In fact they sound superb.  I assume it is that the HS-P82 is not as compact that is the issue.  But if someone is interested in high sound quality - I would think someone would check out that one on ebay - or more that may be following suit.

Edited by AB