Zoom F8

Michael Panfeld

On 10/17/2017 at 12:45 AM, Attila said:

Does anyone have problems with the pre roll? When I switch to external Timecode the pre record function stops working. When back to internal TC it works. I there a way to solve this issue?

Odd. I had never heard of this issue before. And I follow the F8 FB groups very carefully (as that is where the majority of discussions seem to happen). 

If it is due to external TC + pre roll being the specific combination which has the issue (and you want to keep pre roll), which seems to be what you're saying, then why not just purely rely on only internal TC? As the internal TC is very good, so long as you don't turn it off (which is very easily solved with an external battery). 

Simple enough, the problem is "gone" now!

• 2 weeks later...
On 20.10.2017 at 3:14 PM, IronFilm said:

Odd. I had never heard of this issue before. And I follow the F8 FB groups very carefully (as that is where the majority of discussions seem to happen). 

If it is due to external TC + pre roll being the specific combination which has the issue (and you want to keep pre roll), which seems to be what you're saying, then why not just purely rely on only internal TC? As the internal TC is very good, so long as you don't turn it off (which is very easily solved with an external battery). 

Simple enough, the problem is "gone" now!

The problem with this solution is, when powering the unit down, the timecode is gone.

On 11/2/2017 at 7:44 AM, Attila said:

The problem with this solution is, when powering the unit down, the timecode is gone.

Yeah but my point is I almost never power done, my F4 only sips power, so can easily last all day loooong. 

Thus when do you *need* to jam timecode? Only at the start of the day (and again at lunch break is reasonable, if you feel like it). 

How is this a problem? It is just what you'd usually do anyway, makes no difference. 

13 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Yeah but my point is I almost never power done, my F4 only sips power, so can easily last all day loooong. 

Thus when do you *need* to jam timecode? Only at the start of the day (and again at lunch break is reasonable, if you feel like it). 

How is this a problem? It is just what you'd usually do anyway, makes no difference. 

Yes. I am also not powering it down through the day. But I am synching it with the Ambient nano lock it. I feel more comfortable with it. So I have to deal living without pre roll. Maybe Zoom provide an update in the future. The F8 is a great device so far. I used it three weeks every day. Inside outside. Sun. Rain. Bumpy roads and under stress applications. It never failed.  😚

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Attila said:

Another question: I`m going to shoot a documentary and they want the framerate at 23.98 .

In the timecode menu there´s only 23.976ND .

CanI use this?

23.98 and 23.976 are just two labels for exactly the same frame rate, it's just that the former uses one digit less to write it down.

10 hours ago, IronFilm said:

23.976 rounds up to  23.98

They're the same thing, just being expressed with different levels of precision. 

You mean, the same framerate is meant, but they are NOT the same. (I do math with these numbers, and if you use 23.98 instead if 23.976 eg for a correction on the duration of a file, you WILL be off. (That once took me a couple of days to figure out.))

In NTSC framerates, the video is slowed down by 0.1 %

So on 23.976 the math is 24 * 1000 / 1001 = 23,97602397602398

that is NOT 23.98

If you use 23.976 you'll be in sync for a long time... (I can calculate how long your show has to be so you would notice that number is not accurate enough either, but this is already over the top :-)

Bouke

• 5 months later...

Hi. old topic but I have a doubt about the Zoom f8 that I can´t solve reading the manual or searching in the web (maybe I´m not searching the appropiate words...)

the question is:

when the phantom power in one track is activated, is it turned off automatically when you push the button of "disable for recording" of that track?

when you disable for recording one track it goes mute, but i don´t know if it stops giving phantom power to the microphone.

regards!

1 hour ago, Sprotnik said:

Hi. old topic but I have a doubt about the Zoom f8 that I can´t solve reading the manual or searching in the web (maybe I´m not searching the appropiate words...)

the question is:

when the phantom power in one track is activated, is it turned off automatically when you push the button of "disable for recording" of that track?

when you disable for recording one track it goes mute, but i don´t know if it stops giving phantom power to the microphone.

regards!

I can't say that I've ever tried it, but usually the input settings are not at all related to track settings. The only way to find out for sure is with a phantom powered microphone or a volt meter. 

14 minutes ago, Eric Toline said:

Phantom stays on until you turn it off. It makes no sense to have phantom turn off for a disable then you have to turn it back on for the next time you have to record on that track.

I think it makes sense...

You could disable one track to unplug safely a phantom powered microphone.

Another plus, if phantom power turns off in a disabled track the consumption of your batteries would be optimized