RIP - Patrick Macnee

Jeff Wexler

Very sad to hear that Patrick Macnee (John Steed) has died. The Avengers was one of my most favorite shows on TV .

PM-BBC.thumb.jpg.94ce1c6d882f7aa98608912

Actor Patrick Macnee, star of The Avengers TV series, has died in California at the age of 93.

The Briton, best known for playing John Steed in the 1960s television spy series, died at home with his family at his bedside, his son Rupert said.

Macnee also played roles in theatre, appearing on Broadway, and served in the Royal Navy during World War Two.

A statement on the actor's website read: "Wherever he went, he left behind a trove of memories."

He died peacefully at his home in California's Rancho Mirage on Thursday, Rupert said.

Edited by Jeff Wexler

• 2 weeks later...
Off topic, but pictures like this are inspiring to me. That's a piece of important history ~ an image worthy of the Getty. Look at [Brian] go. I was probably two. 

Yes, we're ghosts in the machine. We seek a transparency that most will never understand. We work behind the scenes providing the ears history hears with. If our job is not done well, we've been noticed, and we've failed. 

But I respectfully feel that our elder soundies of the site should post more of these wonderful photographs, along with their stories. I'm aware that we typically don't seek the lenses ourselves, but we need these rare glimpses for posterity, lest the world lose these moments forever. We're often too invisible. 

Thanks, BVS. 

~R