Article on Location Rental Houses, the industry and more

Ty Ford

Hi,

After an unsuccessful negotiation with New Bay Media on what they want to own and pay writers, I have moved on to Markee. Editor Tom Inglesby asked me to talk to location sound rental houses for their June 2015 issue.

Tom has allowed me to cross-publish the article to my blog.

I hadn't read Markee in some time and upon seeing the e-issue, thought it was a good read. Actual articles on audio!

Here's a link to the new issue.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Hey Jim! 

Thanks.

Yes, by the time they finished acquiring different magazines, they owned everyone I had written for all the way back to Radio World. They wanted ownership of all of that and the right to spread it around to wherever and whenever they wanted in perpetuity, which was never part of the original deals. So, sorry, but no.

Tom Inglesby has been great to deal with (he's an audio guy turned magazine editor, so that helps a lot.)

Every cloud has a silver lining. I had been nagging the magazines to let me post links to audio and video in the reviews to better communicate what I was talking about. They couldn't see the advantage. After I got a bunch of my older mic reviews up on my blog, I decided to reinvent the gear review article. I began writing new reviews and made a point of using audio and video clips as well as quotes from the manufacturers. Some high-waisted guy on Gearslutz took offense, saying that manufacturer quotes contaminated the review. The guys who design and make the gear have always been generous with me about their information. I'm a lot smarter about audio technology because of them. I don't think there HAS to be a wall between users and mfgrs. In fact, I don't think there SHOULD be a wall there.

Who knows, maybe New Bay Media will come around. I'm always ready to sit down, have a cup of joe and talk about a deal.

So far, so good. If you see or think of anything that would improve on what I'm doing please let me know.

Regards,

Ty