NP-1 re-animation - she's alive again !

kl

I managed to totally empty one of my Li-Ion NP-1 batteries and now my charger (IDX) doesn't even make an attempt to charge it.

Is there a chance or a way to re-animate my comatose battery? Tricks, techniques, voodoo ceremonies?

tx !

Edited by kl

I've had good luck "un-tripping" the fuse in "dead" ipower 9 volts by giving them a quick touch to the terminals of another live nine volt.

Never tried it with an IDX NP1, but it seems like a worthy thing to try.   If you google "dead lithium battery" you will find a fair bit of info on how batteries can go into a shutoff mode if they are overdischarged.  Sometimes just giving them a quick jolt of power at the proper voltage (the same voltage they output) will reset the overdischarge shutoff.

Cheers,

Brent Calkin

Agreed, with AA batteries that have been dischanged in a flash light left on are too low to be charged in a smart charger, I put them in parallel with a good battery for 5-10 seconds, then quickly put it into the smart charger where it will register a voltage again.   I sometimes wish I hadn't thrown out the "dumb" charger that was just a constant current source.

The NP1 should be similar, needing a way to jump start the process.   An older NiCad NP1 charger (Sony models for $20 on ebay) might do the trick, but I bet the IDX would be warranty voided because of using a non-approved charger.

She's alive again!  

I was reading up a lot on the web - enough to get slightly confused of what to do. I let the battery rest 2 days, I put it in the freezer over night and some other esoteric stuff.

I was hesitant to jump start/jolt it back to live by connecting it to a fully charged Np-1 - I'm aware of the explosive qualities of Lithium batteries - but that's what I did in the end. I taped two short pieces of solid electrical wire to one NP-1 and then touched the contacts with those cable endings of the dead one for about 5 sec after which I put it quickly into the charger. The charging light came on immediately and now, a few hours later the battery is fully charged.

Thank you everybody for chiming in, the 'un-tripping the fuse' did the trick.

Edited by kl

• 6 years later...

Was having a similar problem with the Li-ion battery in my Ambient master clock that got left switched on and drained way to much. It wouldn't hold a charge any longer and needed to be always connected to power. Went and worked a job in Green Bay this weekend where the temperature dropped to near 1 degree Fahrenheit then at the ned lo and behold it is now fully charged and working just as it always did.

These these 'Happy accidents'

Never too old to learn