Lectro shark fin on ORCA harness?

pinkywinkieOZ

Hey guys,

I may have a show starting later this year for which mobility and range will be paramount. Shooting in rivers, sand dunes, up trees, etc. So I've been dreaming up ways to solve the puzzle. Please excuse and forgive me if I touch upon a topic that's probably already discussed on here, but my searches haven't led me to this specific issue. 

I'm using an ORCA bag and harness with a 788 and a PSC Multi SMA. Talent Wireless is on blocks 24 and 26 (Sydney, Australia). I'm thinking of somehow mounting a small boom pole to the back of my harness and attaching a Lectro ALP650 to it, so that it hovers above my head. Is that ridiculous? What do you guys think? Has anybody attempted something like that on here? Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers,

pinky 

Great to see people thinking outside the square pinky, however the thing about Antenna's like the ALP650 is that they are directional which may in itself limit the usability of a portable style system fixed to your person. If you are running multiple Radio Mic's and not so much Booming, it may just work if you mounted the ALP650 to a Boom Pole or similar which you could then adjust the direction of easily, irrespective of which way you happen to be facing.

Although it is not an amplified Antenna like the ALP650, from what you are describing, I wonder whether you may be better off with a Dipole like the Lectro SNA600a.

Cheers,

Steve

I second the SNA600A choice. You can mount them on ultralight selfie sticks at the front of the bag.

Fold them down when you're on the run and fly'em up when you need more range. Sharkfins would be too directional but also extremely cumbersome if you need to move quickly.

I've been running this rig on Orca OR-41 with zaxcom wireless and Multi SMA for a few weeks and it's been amazing. Will post photos when I get home.

Edited by David Marien

Sweet! Thanks guys. Much appreciated. David - I'd love to see photos of your setup with the SNA to give me a clearer idea. Thanks mate.

Given that my wireless is on blocks 24 and 26, would the SNA still work ok? My understanding was that it's kind of block specific? Is that correct? Or can it span a few blocks if placed on a centre frequency, or something along those lines? 

I meant ultralight as an adjective. Just go to BIG W and pick up the cheapest selfie stick. You'll need one with a thread and a swivel mount so that your SNA600A can sit the right way (antenna elements vertical).

The centre frequency on the dipôles can be loosely set, like when you cut down whips. Better to have it as accurate as possible of course, but not paramount.