Meet Carol Kaye

al mcguire

I saw her do a clinic at the Reno Jazz Festival in 1971. She played a white Precision Bass with a tortoise shell pickguard. She wore a flowered hippie dress, a floppy hat, and those famous pink shades. I remember her saying that "Playing bass was like sex. Once you know where your hands go, the rest is easy".  Most of us high school kids got a good chuckle out of that.

And the recent release of Wrecking Crew was fantastic. Carol is not a fan of the movie -- she has her own history of what happened as a session musician during the 1960s and 1970s -- but the film is really entertaining. I often use it as an example to my post clients of what can go wrong when they underestimate what it costs to get music clearances for films. I think the production budget on Wrecking Crew was about $100,000, but then the music clearance bill came in at about $3,000,000!

The Wrecking Crew is having it's Mexico premiere in two weeks and Denny Tedesco will be on hand to take Q&A after the screening. I want to ask him about the music clearances, crowd funding and creative money raising techniques that he used. It's a fantastic doc and the culmination of a 19 year work of love. Good on him!

wreckingcrewlogo-small.jpeg

And the recent release of Wrecking Crew was fantastic. Carol is not a fan of the movie -- she has her own history of what happened as a session musician during the 1960s and 1970s -- but the film is really entertaining. I often use it as an example to my post clients of what can go wrong when they underestimate what it costs to get music clearances for films. I think the production budget on Wrecking Crew was about $100,000, but then the music clearance bill came in at about $3,000,000!

+1 Great show!!

I watched the Wrecking Crew 2 times on pay per view last weekend. I grew up with all that music, been playing bass in bands ever since.  I thought I heard Carol didn't agree with them being called the Wrecking Crew. Whether she likes the movie or not it should help get her recognition from people who have no idea how much she contributed the music of that era and like me are interested in also hearing her side of the story.

• 2 weeks later...

Denny Tedesco, director of The Wrecking Crew in Ajijic, Mexico at the Lakeside Little Theatre. Four SOLD OUT screenings this weekend. It could be why he is smiling!

People had the opportunity to ask questions after the screenings about the film or the Crew. His father is Tommy Tedesco (famed guitar player and Wrecking Crew member)

Denny T.jpg

• 4 years later...