Schoeps LC-60 U low cut filter with 442

Reid

Does anyone use the Schoeps, LC-60U low cut, in line, filters as a Cut 1 alternative? I am on the fence after reading Jeff's and other posts pro and con on the need for a Cut 1.  So is using an in line (18db/oct, 60hz) filter a useful way of building a bit of insurance into a cmc641 to 442 combination? I realize some efficiency is lost with this choice.

Thanks,

Reid

Does anyone use the Schoeps, LC-60U low cut, in line, filters as a Cut 1 alternative? I am on the fence after reading Jeff's and other posts pro and con on the need for a Cut 1.  So is using an in line (18db/oct, 60hz) filter a useful way of building a bit of insurance into a cmc641 to 442 combination? I realize some efficiency is lost with this choice.

Thanks,

Reid

I hope I wasn't misunderstood here regarding the use of the Cut 1. It can never hurt to use it providing the setting is not so high that you lose low frequency program that is needed for a proper recording. The same damage can of course be introduced by the mixer, the 442 or other, even if you are not using the inline Cut 1 filter. There is a good case to be made for some benefit by cutting low frequency before it even reaches the mic amp (this is what the Cut 1 does) but I think this benefit is often overrated. If you have a Cut 1 and you don't mind making the microphone longer and slightly heavier, and you are willing to keep track of the setting (keeping it low enough and putting some tape on it so it doesn't change), there is no reason NOT to use it.

In my limited experience with the 442 it does have quite good high pass/low frequency filters which allow the use of a Schoeps microphone without the Cut 1.

Your choice.

-  Jeff Wexler

The CUT 1 filter has two filters.  A fixed 70 Hz cutoff at 24 dB/octave and also a gentle 6dB/octave adjustable rolloff.  I always keep the rolloff in the lowest position (essentially off) and use the CUT 1 just for the steep 70Hz cutoff.  I imagine that's how it's used in most instances.

If you are in a situation such as Jeff where you consistently have the benefit of one of the best boom ops in the business, then you probably don't need it.  Let's face it, the best "low handling noise filter" in the world is a great boom op.

If, however, you're in a situation where your boom ops vary in skill and experience and you'll sometimes even be doing an amount of run 'n gun with the mic, I'd recommend it.  In that application the CUT 1 can be quite beneficial.

I haven't used the LC-60U.

JB

Jeff no worries, your posts were clear.  I never had the impression that this is a always or never choice for you. 

....and yes I am usually my own boom op and my skills have a ways to go. What I was hoping for is a learned opinion that using a LC-60 in conjunction with the low pass on a 442 I would get comfortably by with out the Cut 1.  It is a dollar, boom weight,and flexible at the mixer end run I thought might work.  I just need to cut the check.

Thanks John for the input.

Reid